Garden clearance - shredder hire or buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Branches only, the rounds will get donated to family with burners.

Well if your donating I dont know why you dont just tell them that the deal is for them to take the lot otherwize its going up on Facebook etc? It seems a lot of faffing about. I'd say take the lot over the next week otherwize I'll get others to take it.
How much did the tree person quote for removal? If it wasnt too bad I'd have gone with that rather than having all this messing about. One things for sure I wouldnt be doing any of it.

Just a small note - when I use my shredder - for all the use it is - I don;t bother with the bag on the bottom
I just let it all drop onto the patio
then shovel it up afterwards straight into the green waste bin
(not over the fence at the back - no no no!!!!)

PK99

Legendary Member
Not paying for removal is, as you have found, a false economy.

Hire the best you can afford. If you buy an under powered one youwilly likely wreck it before you finish the job.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
2500W ryobi one. You have a box underneath and it won't work without.

Couple of hours Saturday and a few more Sunday we got a lot done. Got even more left kind you but at least it's a lot quicker.

As to cost, I got the distinct feeling that the tree surgeon didn't want to remove it. Just the way he said it would cost a lot with a look ad of to plead us not to ask for a quote.

Access is not possible to the top of the garden with a professional, trailer shredder and trust me hand carrying that much wood down would have taken even pro's several weeks. We're talking two very big and nature leylandii, a tall Holly, several big beech branches and a few other things too. We're talking quite a few tonnes hand carried to the driveway to be shredded and then disposed of.

I have a shredder - never been much use but I though I would give it another go

chopped a few braches off the Holly tree - that need felling really - and tried to shred them
but it just jams up
would be OK with dried branches I think - but anything with geren leaves and it is hopeless
especially if they are waxy at all
which makes it pretty useless and everything I would want to have a shredder for has waxy leaves!!

Thin it if getting sold off - or given away!

Top Bottom