Garden office recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rikki

Legendary Member
A garden office

1572763433143.png

Levo-Lon

Guru
The completely DIY approach sounds good @Phaeton, although Mrs L has just vetoed upvc. So much for zero maintenance.

She's looking at log cabins currently.

Son got a log cabin, the buildit yourself type.
They are pine and need painting ect.

The paid 3.5 k for it and its lovely, however its not a one man job.
You need at least 2, and a couple of days, dry will be really helpful.
Their cabin is a 4x3. 5m iirc and has double doors and windows that are double glazed.
They painted it themselves though you can get them pre treated, which i would have if it was mine.
It has floor insulation and roof, this is a insulating board and not 100 mm foam and silver backed stufc you use in a house.

It requires hating in cold weather obviously but its lovely in warm weather.

Only thing I'd add being an ex paving professional is it really needs to be set up on the adjustable feet for PERFECT level cant stress that enough.

Your paving will be ok for the "sub base" but it will not be level and may have varying falls so your build wont work, these cabins Need the base frame setting up level.

Anyway enough of the doom and gloom and scare :laugh: , you'll be very happy in a cabin.

This is very similar to what they got..

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/log-cabins/canton-apex-log-cabin

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Having built one for a client years ago, consider how you will get everything into the garden. And as @meta lon says, get a decent base done. Finally: Good ventilation and electrics. Sweet. Where’s the turbo going?

These new cabins are all in kit form, timber planks ect, a lot of pieces but all will go through a standard side gate or door.

You do need some room for it to stack and look at while scratching your head :laugh:

Salar

A fish out of water
I think I paid approx £3K for my fully insulated office. Bought it from a local company who only charged £200 to put it up.
By the time I'd had double glazing installed (I wanted proper windows and doors not the type that comes with kits) electrics, carpet, decorated, painted externally including a base and decking it must have been approx £6K.

Things to watch, make sure the floor is not springy I made them double up my floor at no extra cost.
Check the quality and security of windows and doors.
Check out how good the roof covering is.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I built one out of celcon blokes and rendered it, you will need footings, would look good clad in wood. Diy is the way to go if you can, loads of vids on you tube, you will have something that will last forever, and can be used all year round if properly insulated.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I built a kit one at my last house, due to budget I skimped on insulation which was a silly mistake. I did upgrade to reclaimed uPVC windows and a door which helped, but ultimate it cost me a fortune in winter to heat and got too hot in summer. If I were to do it again, then I would still build a kit, but go nuts on insulation.

Drago

Legendary Member
Son got a log cabin, the buildit yourself type.
They are pine and need painting ect.

The paid 3.5 k for it and its lovely, however its not a one man job.
You need at least 2, and a couple of days, dry will be really helpful.
Their cabin is a 4x3. 5m iirc and has double doors and windows that are double glazed.
They painted it themselves though you can get them pre treated, which i would have if it was mine.
It has floor insulation and roof, this is a insulating board and not 100 mm foam and silver backed stufc you use in a house.

It requires hating in cold weather obviously but its lovely in warm weather.

Only thing I'd add being an ex paving professional is it really needs to be set up on the adjustable feet for PERFECT level cant stress that enough.

Your paving will be ok for the "sub base" but it will not be level and may have varying falls so your build wont work, these cabins Need the base frame setting up level.

Anyway enough of the doom and gloom and scare :laugh: , you'll be very happy in a cabin.

This is very similar to what they got..

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/log-cabins/canton-apex-log-cabin
Erm, I built mine on my own :laugh: Granted, there were times when a second pair of hands would have saved me mucho foul language, but I managed it. Took 2 solid days from sunrise to sunset.

No insulation, but I paid for the 20mm roof and floor timbers, and the 50mm wall timbers, so it's not as bad as it might have been. Any building requires heating in the winter and this is no different, but a wood burner takes care of that. Raises temps from 4C to high 20's celsius in about 45 minutes, then keeps it there all day.

I paid for the double glazed doors and windows and the whole kit was about £3500ish for a 15 x 18 about 5 years ago. FiL did me a concrete base and the structure rests on treated timbers to keep it off the ground.

Top Bottom