Garmin 305 v Garmin 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AhThisFeckinThing

I am very interested in purchasing one of the above for the future. I want to have the heart and cadence monitor. I have found a new 305 for £169 and a 500 for £220. Is there any real difference. I will using it for my daily commute in all weathers and rides out, again in all weathers. Any thoughts, is there a better alternative. I do like the information display when uploaded and this primarily appeals to me with the Garmin. PS. I am on a budget and SOH is not fully aware of forthcoming 'essential' expense. :whistle:

rockyraccoon

Veteran
...and a 500 for £220...

£30 cheaper here

Garz

Squat Member
I can only vouch for the 500 experience but it's an awesome logging tool. I bought it for £180 almost a year ago so maybe you can shop around and get a better price?

If you know where your riding most outings then it's great as it not much bigger than the stem and easy to carry around. The larger units for mapping would only get used by me at random but I would take the 800 for example if money was no object for sure.

There is some glitches with the 500 from garmin as it's route feature (where you can pre-plot a ride and follow a trail) is not perfect. If they ever iron this out though for me it's the perfect computer to monitor your stats.

As far as I can see the 500 is almost identical to my 305 in terms data tracking, apart from the 500 does ambient temperature. I'm not sure how the 500 is for navigating though, I think it uses the same line based system as the 305 but some users say it can lock up on longer rides, touch wood the 305 doesn't. Hopefully the 500 also finds satellites faster than the 305 though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I went 305 as it is very useful when running and tbh when on the bike I rarely look at it, using it primarily for data recording and later analysis. The route stuff is near useless for navigating a new route compared with an Etrex but it has told me got me back on my route when I've gone astray when running.

HLaB points to the 305's weak spot though. In the UK it seems to take forever to get a lock.

OP
OP
AhThisFeckinThing

AhThisFeckinThing

Ooops, I meant the Garmin Edge 305, d'oh!! :blush:

Top Bottom