Garmin 605

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fattman

Hi All,

I am lucky enough to have a Garmin Edge 705, Mrs Fattman has got herself a 605 (she only really wanted it for navigation, not retentive HR analysis...)

Hers has gone slightly splat... after the kids got to the Mac, maybe...

Am running Mac Snow Leopard, and it came up with 'Volume cannot be recognised'. After much rummaging on 'tinterweb, came up with solution (originally from Garmin for 705, but they share firmware I bleeve) where one re-formats the volume as FAT16, then copies in basic folder structure including the basemap (from my 705)

So now: it connects - premature Hooray!

I have tried downloading a course to the device by putting a tcx file in the Courses folder - but when I power up the 605 - it doesn't see it
If I record a 'workout', the 605 can very happily see it in its history, but it will not show up in the folder when viewed through Finder on the Mac (or Explorer on a windows laptop), or upload using Garmin Connect or Training Manager.

So, after all that tiresome technical stuff... does anyone have a Garmin Edge 605 out there, and can they share with me its file contents when viewed in a file browser (Finder/Explorer)?

I am totally running out of options, but if I can just fool it into thinking it's ok, maybe it will be ok....

Cheers in advance,

Matt

Sorry can't help.

My 705 seamlessly shows up on the Mac, having said that I do have files I cannot delete!

I delete them on the drive using the Mac and they reappear next time I switch on the Edge, and the same thing happens when I delete them using the Edge itself!

GAVSTER

I have the 605 - i use Garmin Training Centre to add courses to it.

I also have a mac and it works fine.

Gav

OP
OP
Fattman

Fattman

I have the 605 - i use Garmin Training Centre to add courses to it.

I also have a mac and it works fine.

Gav

Cheers Gav. Can I further ask - when you see the device on the desktop what is it mounted as? My 705 I have as GARMIN (and it has a separate device for the SD card that comes up as an id number (not at the machine right now so not sure what it is). And if you open up that device by double-clicking, what is in it?

It's frustrating cos it was all fine, and then it all wasn't.

Matt

rogersavery

In finder are you looking at the sd card or the garmin device? (you should see 2 devices in finder)

The courses on my 705 have always gone in the garmin device in the courses folder

OP
OP
Fattman

Fattman

In finder are you looking at the sd card or the garmin device? (you should see 2 devices in finder)

The courses on my 705 have always gone in the garmin device in the courses folder

I am looking at the Garmin device (I have removed the SD card to avoid accidentally trashing it)

I ended up re-formatting the Garmin device (ulp!) and re-creating the folder structure (there was no other option I could find since the device was simply not connecting). I even tried copying everything from my 705 into the 605 device; then the Mac-side tools (Training Center, Garmin Connect) simply sees it as exactly the same as my 705. But power up the device and it has no courses, workouts, nothing. All the functions work, you can record a new workout, but it is then not visible to the Mac.

I guess I'm only pouring out my frustration on you guys! It is weird, though... like the Garmin has a hidden internal volume it's using.

Top Bottom