Garmin-Chipotle & Wiggins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

girofan

Hardly has the ink dried on Wiggin's contract with Garmin-Chipotle and Wiggo is talking of being a member of British Cycling Pro team!
IMO Garmin is the last-chance-saloon of English speaking riders and Wiggins probably doesn't consider he'll 'cut the mustard' for this team taking into consideration his lacklustre career on the road.
Great track rider he may be, but do you not consider him lacking somewhat for a role other than gregario for a pro team, even British Cycling's?

yello

I did wonder when he was talking up the BC team in that interview on Radio5. Big fish in a little pond kind of thing. He also mentioned Cav being part and it made me think of Cav's response - something along the lines of 'if they can afford me'. Hate to say it, but I think I know who has closer vision of reality.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a BC team but I reckon it's some way off. There needs to be a bit more depth, more strength in numbers.

kennykool

I find it strange why we (British) cant transfer our talent in the Velodrome onto the road (with the exception of Cav of course).

A british team would be unbelievable to see in the Tour but I think it's a pipe dream.

PeteinLadywell

I'm sure money won't be an issue for the British team so they will be able to afford Cav. What would worry me is that we may not have enough strength in depth to support him.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
kennykool said:
I find it strange why we (British) cant transfer our talent in the Velodrome onto the road (with the exception of Cav of course).

and err... Nicole Cooke, Emma Pooley... only Olympic and World champions and silver medallists. :biggrin: but they is gurlz, iznt they? :tongue:

Plus, we are starting to generate young road cyclists capable of competing at the highest level now - e.g.: Ben Swift, Ian Stannard, Steve Cummings (who was recently 3rd in the European tour rankings...).

I think British Cycling is way past the period when all they cared about was track (and TT) and are now pushing forward in a very purposeful (and well funded) way...

kennykool

If team GB COULD afford Cav the next problem is building a team around him that can get him in positon to win Stages. I suppose Cav is looking at Green jersey at the Tour one day - as Petein says. GB may not have enough riders to support him to get him into the position for Stage Victories.

Team Columbia have proved they can help Cav

I still think a GB team is a pipe dream....nice idea none-the-less! :tongue:

kennykool

Flying_Monkey said:
and err... Nicole Cooke, Emma Pooley... only Olympic and World champions and silver medallists. :smile: but they is gurlz, iznt they? :tongue:

Plus, we are starting to generate young road cyclists capable of competing at the highest level now - e.g.: Ben Swift, Ian Stannard, Steve Cummings (who was recently 3rd in the European tour rankings...).

I think British Cycling is way past the period when all they cared about was track (and TT) and are now pushing forward in a very purposeful (and well funded) way...

Sorry FM i was being chauvinistic there!

Of course Cooke and Pooley have done so. I was purley referring to the dudes - please accept my most humble apologies :biggrin:

PeteinLadywell

girofan said:
but would Cav. want to ride for BC?

That's another issue. If I was him I wouldn't want to ride for BC unless the team was strong enough to give me a good chance in the sprints.

The fact is a top class British rider may well be able to earn more money riding for a British team than for a continental team, just as Armstrong definitely earnt more money riding for a US team than he ever would have done riding for a French or German team. As a sprinter he could still pick up a good few stages in major tours even without the help of a good team - just ask Mcewen about that.

Top Bottom