Garmin Edge 25

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Is the Garmin Edge 25 worth the cost vs using a phone and Strava? Christmas is coming up and I quite like the look of it, but as there are a few pros and cons of using either I could do with some help.

Currently using Strava and a Note 4 which does the job and will record heart rate etc. On the plus its free, HRM was only £15. But the downside is I can’t see what speed I am doing nor see my heart rate other than when I upload the ride when I get home. The big downside is the phone is about £500 to replace new.

Garmin looks like a decent price. Pros are being able to see all data when out, not having to take my current phone out with me, gives live tracking to keep her indoors happy, possibly a bit more accurate for distance/climbs etc and can attach a cadence sensor. The down side seems to be run time, extra hassle of uploading data, the HRM is Ant+ so need to sort another strap and still need to take a phone, all be it a lot smaller than the Note.

What would you do?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a 200 and a 705. Originally used a phone but the accuracy level wasn't as good, the battery got hammered and you couldn't see speed etc. unless you used a bar mount which I didn't trust. I wouldn't go back to a phone now.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
You can only use Live Tracking if you have your phone with you...

I would still have a phone but would use my old S3. I never go out on my push iron without a phone and especially when riding off road alone.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Live tracking is ok but it drops off when you have no phone signal. I have a 510 and the major advantage for me is not having to worry about charging my phone up before I go out on a ride. I have enough battery to make a call etc but don't need to worry that it's not 100% as Strava can drain it.

The 25 uploads wirelessly no? If so the uploading of a ride should be as simple as saving the ride on the 25. It will upload automatically.

My mate has a 25, it's a nice little toy. Go on, treat yourself.

bpsmith

Veteran
Definitely Garmin over using a phone. I still carry a phone, and useful for Live Tracking, but would still not want to be without the Garmin.

Live Tracking is very useful as the missus puts the hot water on for me and gets a meal on the table after a long ride. Worth the entry fee alone. :smile:

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Live Tracking is very useful as the missus puts the hot water on for me and gets a meal on the table after a long ride. Worth the entry fee alone. :smile:

Great minds and all that :okay:

The last consideration now is if bread crumb navigation is up to the job. Can't see me using it a lot but might be handy for a couple of road rides I have planned next year.

bpsmith

Veteran
I recently bought the 520, after using the 510 for a couple of years. I have updated the base maps on the 520 to give decent mapping for my area and tested. Works a lot better than the 510 in fairness, but I didn't miss having maps when I had the 510 tbh. Following a preloaded route was fine with the 510 giving simple left and right arrows and a beep when of course.

For when exploring, I tended to just stop every so often and check my phones mapping @Jody.

Top Bottom