garmin edge 605- what else do you need with it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrsbaggins

I am just looking around at getting my first ever bike gps and have been looking at the above but need some help.

Most of the sites say that base map is pre loaded but there is a slot to enter more info. As it comes straight out of the box would i be able to set for instance a finish point and it would tell me like a tom tom sat nav turn left, turn right etc or do I have to buy and load other information/maps?

zacklaws

Guru
I am just looking around at getting my first ever bike gps and have been looking at the above but need some help.

Most of the sites say that base map is pre loaded but there is a slot to enter more info. As it comes straight out of the box would i be able to set for instance a finish point and it would tell me like a tom tom sat nav turn left, turn right etc or do I have to buy and load other information/maps?

I've no experience of the Edge 605 but I use the Edge 800. Both models come with base map, but it as much use as tits on a bull, its what its name says "base map", probably 99% of the roads in the UK are missing along with built up areas. The only roads that are in base maps are major roads, no minor roads etc so the map is off no use in reality.

The slot is for a memory card if you buy maps preloaded onto a micro SD card, but there expensive, alternatively you can download from your PC either into the internal memory or the SD card.

The maps I use are from free mapping sites and I just download them into Garmin Mapsource, a free program and then upload to the Edge

FREE UK (GB/Ireland) Maps Home (talkytoasteruk)
Worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

The Edge will give directions but not audible but will flash up on the screen when to turn etc along with an audible beep, I think, I'm half deaf so I don't hear anything.

In my opinion if you can afford it go for the Edge 705, or better still the Edge 800

If you look at the following page there is a good review of the 705, the only difference between the 605 and 705 being the 605 does not monitor heart rate and cadence, I think

http://frank.kinlan....-knowledgebase/

And for the Edge 800 review:-

http://www.dcrainmak...first-look.html

I have a 705, but the basics I assume will be similar - the best guide is by a chap called Frank Kinlan

IN my experience, whilst not totally intuitive, the system is not diffficult to use, and maps are easy - the system will appear on your computer as a drive with access to the files. Anything you want to add can be done by drag and drop. This includes downloaded maps such as the free OSM cycle maps.

Equally well you can use any of the online route planners, download a route as a "GPX" file and then drag into the Garmin.

The turns are basic than a car SatNav- a beep and screen message Imagine "Turn Left 50 Yards" where the writing is on this image. This is adequate and capable of navigating routes.

running_watches_0.jpg

Top Bottom