Garmin Edge 800 cadence sensor setup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Hi all

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong installing my Garmin Edge 800 cadence sensor? Initially I had it set up so the red and green lights were coming on nicely. Took it outside for a spin and it detected movement. Then I had to stop to fiddle with a light. After that, no more lights flashing on the cadence sensor and it wouldn't detect movement on the unit. Took it inside to fettle but can't get the sensor lights flashing again. Any ideas???

Thanks

LR

Will1985

Über Member
You said "it detected movement" - was this the Garmin or the cadence sensor?

Assuming it's a new unit with a fresh battery (ie not a dead battery issue), the lights only show for a few minutes. If you press the little button again and turn the pedals you should see it flashing again. It would also be worth going into the setup menu and re-pairing the Edge with the GSC-10.

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
You said "it detected movement" - was this the Garmin or the cadence sensor?

Assuming it's a new unit with a fresh battery (ie not a dead battery issue), the lights only show for a few minutes. If you press the little button again and turn the pedals you should see it flashing again. It would also be worth going into the setup menu and re-pairing the Edge with the GSC-10.

Thanks! I meant the Garmin detected movement. Which little button am I pressing again?

Edge705

the one on the sensor itself the clear see through tiny button this will omit a red or green light enabling you to align both the cadence magnet attached to your crank arm (red light) and the wheel magnet attached to your wheel (green light) Although you dont need a wheel magnet as the unit will calculate your speed cased on your gps position

the one on the sensor itself the clear see through tiny button this will omit a red or green light enabling you to align both the cadence magnet attached to your crank arm (red light) and the wheel magnet attached to your wheel (green light) Although you dont need a wheel magnet as the unit will calculate your speed cased on your gps position

This is a nice feature, I can use the cadence sensor on the boom of the trike and tuck the wheel sensor away. First practical answer for a recumbent trike and a lot easier than trying to splice long cables.

PK99

Legendary Member
Although you dont need a wheel magnet as the unit will calculate your speed cased on your gps position

that has puzzled me for a while. the lbs set mine up with both sensors (drank and spoke) but a spoke sensor seems completly redundant as the gps measures speed - or am i missing something?

Edge705

that has puzzled me for a while. the lbs set mine up with both sensors (drank and spoke) but a spoke sensor seems completly redundant as the gps measures speed - or am i missing something?

Your garmin can be set to measure speed and distance from either the speed sensor or gps if the unit is paired with the sensor then it will take speed and distance measurements based on wheel revolutions if its not paired it will automaticaly record speed and distance using GPS

In general it will depend upon receiver software.

Inputs from additional sensors can shorten signal acquisition/re-acquisition times and can also be used to aid the position/velocity solution.

But yes, fundamentally GPS does give you velocity (this isn't done by differencing positions but is determined instantaneously from the measured Doppler shift on the received signals).

Will1985

Über Member
There are times when the GPS signal will be weak or drop out such as going through very dense woodland or tunnels. Very bad weather also seems to influence the accuracy of the signal.

Top Bottom