garmin edge-different versions with maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrsbaggins

sorry another garmin question but as its a diff question thought i would re post

am looking at either edge 605 or now even the 705 but there are different packages and diff prices to go with it.

From what I was told the base map is pants so def need to get something else!!

the packages I can see are the basic, city package, MTB package and topo gb dvd package and I am unsure what they all are! would it be best for me just to get the basic and add maps as required.

at the moment I am just going to and from work with odd leisure ride and holiday with bike but if cuts come into place at work I may be needing my bike to get around the borough instead of my car. This is to give you idea of the type of riding I currently do. I also do the very occasional off road but this is usually with someone who knows where they are going!

I have seen the basic 605 on offer at £175. this seems much cheaper than a basic 705 which is about £220 . Is it just an updated 605 or is there better things on the 705?

martint235

Dog on a bike
sorry another garmin question but as its a diff question thought i would re post

am looking at either edge 605 or now even the 705 but there are different packages and diff prices to go with it.

From what I was told the base map is pants so def need to get something else!!

the packages I can see are the basic, city package, MTB package and topo gb dvd package and I am unsure what they all are! would it be best for me just to get the basic and add maps as required.

at the moment I am just going to and from work with odd leisure ride and holiday with bike but if cuts come into place at work I may be needing my bike to get around the borough instead of my car. This is to give you idea of the type of riding I currently do. I also do the very occasional off road but this is usually with someone who knows where they are going!

I have seen the basic 605 on offer at £175. this seems much cheaper than a basic 705 which is about £220 . Is it just an updated 605 or is there better things on the 705?

I'm sure someone will be along later to explain all the differences between the 605 and the 705. I think the main difference is the 705 will accept different sensors (heart rate monitor etc).

As to maps, use the free ones from TalkyToaster (google), they seem to do the job well. I bought my 605 second hand on ebay and it had a dodgy map on it so just replaced it with the UK map with contours from TT.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Just use a free map from talkytoaster which is definitely not google but openstreetmap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The maps are updated regularly. The data has improved significantly over the last 3 years. They are extremely easy to put on garmins, just copying and pasting into a folder and renaming a file in most cases. Loads and loads of garmin users use them.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just use a free map from talkytoaster which is definitely not google but openstreetmap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! The maps are updated regularly. The data has improved significantly over the last 3 years. They are extremely easy to put on garmins, just copying and pasting into a folder and renaming a file in most cases. Loads and loads of garmin users use them.

Sorry but I wasn't saying the maps were by google, I was saying "google" talkytoaster

pshore

I use VeloMap on my Garmin. It's another map based on OpenStreetMap data so free and fixable. It's really good.

Edit: Hang on, when I say really good, I mean the features it has are good. Address searching is broken (same for all OpenStreetMaps on Garmins) but is about to fixed apparently. This may or may not make you disappointed if comparing to commercial data.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sorry but I wasn't saying the maps were by google, I was saying "google" talkytoaster

Ah. Sorry. Yes they are good. Mrs baggins they include bridleways, footpaths, roads, POIs and so on which is why I use them. Also really easy to plan a route on bikehike and then put it on the garmin and just follow it.

Do buildings render on the bigger screens just out of interest? Not updated mine in yonks and now everyone is going crazy adding buildings to OSM.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you plump up the cash for a Garmin City Navigator map - get it on DVD. Why, because if the card goes up the shoot you can reload it. you'll also need a SD card.

Top Bottom