Garmin Edge Explore and Garmin Power Pack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
I just had a look at the DC Rainmaker and it is an expensive upgrade that does many things, the only one of real interest to me would be the ability to connect to the Garmin Power Pack. So I'll get by using a regular power pack in my bar bag and connected to my early model Edge Explore with a conventional cable as many on this site have kindly recomended (and hope that it doesn't rain).

I tried that yesterday and was surprised to see that I repowered the Edge Explore from 5 percent to 30percent in 35 minutes while the GPS was still operating.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
@abcd efg
have you considered using a non garmin battery replacement site ? i bookmarked this just in case mine ever gets to the level your struggling with
https://tomtomrepairteam.co.uk/product/battery-replacement-service-garmin-edge-explore/

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I might buy this, looking at the 2nd last post my garmin takes longer to charge on the USB stick.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Garmin-1000-1200-mAh-DI44EJ18B60HK-black/dp/B01IHGWGHS
The Garmin fixes are on lots of u tube videos. 👍

just be careful , looks similar to the battery on the 200 i had where the power cables for the speaker need to be soldered on or left disconnected so no beep if you want it .I got someone to connect mine who did electronic stuff .

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
Have you reset/revalibrated battery meter? I did a bit of investigation onto the battery power or lack of.
What I found on the Garmin forums is that when the machine leaves the factory, the battery is not calbrated correctly to the battery indicator, meaning the battery level shows an incorrect life cycle.
To remedy this you need to turn on the machine and let the battery run dead. Keep an eye on it as it will keep asking you if you want to shut the machine down. Keep it going until the machine actually dies and cannot be switched on. This will take longer then you think so plan on doing this in the morning.
Once the battery is fully drained, plug in the power lead and do a full factory reset. Make sure you power the machine back up to 100%.
This will recalibrate the battery to the battery meter/indicator.
Before I did the recalibration my Explore was indicating the battery draining pretty quickly. After recalibration the battery lasted a full day's ride easy.

Hope this might be of help.
I did as you suggested but fifteen minutes or so after getting things reinstalled and reset, the power went from 100 per cent to 80 per cent. In frustration, I called Garmin and asked them to replace the unit gratis with a new Garmin Edge 2 to which they agreed. According to the DC Rainmaker website https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/07/garmin-edge-explore-2-in-depth-review.html, the 2 is a much better unit than what I have but it also has more battery life apparently.

I did have a look at a repair service https://tomtomrepairteam.co.uk/product/battery-replacement-service-garmin-edge-explore/ that was posted by someone else. I was quite impressed by the website and they might be worth remembering for future problems.

Meanwhile, thanks again for your help.

Cheers

si_c

Guru
I did as you suggested but fifteen minutes or so after getting things reinstalled and reset, the power went from 100 per cent to 80 per cent. In frustration, I called Garmin and asked them to replace the unit gratis with a new Garmin Edge 2 to which they agreed. According to the DC Rainmaker website https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/07/garmin-edge-explore-2-in-depth-review.html, the 2 is a much better unit than what I have but it also has more battery life apparently.

I did have a look at a repair service https://tomtomrepairteam.co.uk/product/battery-replacement-service-garmin-edge-explore/ that was posted by someone else. I was quite impressed by the website and they might be worth remembering for future problems.

Meanwhile, thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Good to hear about a positive result from a company. In my experience Garmin have been pretty good.

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
Earlier today I got out for the first time using the Edge Explore 2 and it was terrific. Last night I got it fully charged and today rode for about ninety minutes and had an indicated four percent battery usage. Then I activated the battery save mode and it told me that with it, I have about 34 hours remaining. Extraordinary!

Another battery feature I wasn't aware I was getting is the opportunity to chose between the 'Ballanced Muti-GNSS' and 'Best Battery Life GPS'. To honest, I have no idea what this choice actually means other than the latter presumably gives more battery time but possibly with less geographic data accuracy. Maybe someone can explain this.

The screen graphics are very different but not in a complicated way.

Cheers

I've been using Garmins for cycling tours and always take a mini-charger with me that I plug into the Edge when its power is low. It gives an extra hour of cycling. I brought it via Amazon and whilst its prime purpose is to top up mobile telephones it is cheap and works on the Garmin.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpeg
    IMG_0090.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 2

si_c

Guru
Another battery feature I wasn't aware I was getting is the opportunity to chose between the 'Ballanced Muti-GNSS' and 'Best Battery Life GPS'. To honest, I have no idea what this choice actually means other than the latter presumably gives more battery time but possibly with less geographic data accuracy. Maybe someone can explain this.
The best accuracy modes use multiple GPS-like systems to get better accuracy of positioning (more satellites = more better) the lower power modes use a single system which does reduce battery consumption a reasonable amount.

In practice I don't find much of a difference in practice between the two modes so I tend to stick with the balanced mode as it should see better accuracy in wooded or city conditions where GPS is known to perform less well unless I know I'm on a long day out and need to conserve battery.

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
The best accuracy modes use multiple GPS-like systems to get better accuracy of positioning (more satellites = more better) the lower power modes use a single system which does reduce battery consumption a reasonable amount.

In practice I don't find much of a difference in practice between the two modes so I tend to stick with the balanced mode as it should see better accuracy in wooded or city conditions where GPS is known to perform less well unless I know I'm on a long day out and need to conserve battery.

Thanks for this.

Cheers

Top Bottom