Garmin Edge users with Topo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Planning Sunday’s ride, I have come across some other places where Garmin’s routing is averse to. I needn’t detail where, but advice to force the routing.

Also, I am disappointed with Garmin’s ‘Training Center’ ( sorry for the Americanism ).

If the sales bumf says ‘route calculation’, one would think the device would be able to find the shortest route between two waypoints, but oh no, Garmin’s Edge 605 logic and algorithms seem to be the same as eTrex Legend.

There are three options for routing, Cycling, Car/motorcycle and pedestrian. I choose cycling. Along my route, there is a cycle lane where motors are forbidden, but Garmin does not know about the cycletrack.

The ‘fix’ for this is to choose ‘off road’ in the Routing menu. Doing this tells the unit to join waypoints and viapoints with stringer straight lines, so the route must be quite detailed with viapoints, not just start and finish waypoints.

Another anomaly is where my ‘Follow Road’ route took me fully around a gyratory ( large traffic island ),,, BUT HOW MANY TIMES ???

I had hoped that in the three years since I bought the eTrex Legend, Garmin would have improved their route calculation logic.

Garmin ‘Training Centre’ dissapointments.

Using my Legend, I upload the track into Mapsource. I opened the ‘Detail’ window and cut & pasted all the numbers onto a MS Excel worksheet. After some post-processing, I could plot a chart of Speed vs Gradient. Introducing a polynomial curve fit, I got a general indication of my climbing speed, and then calc the power values.
Comparing the result with past rides, I can gauge my improvements.

This way, I do not need to ride the same route.

Try as I might, I cannot achieve this with Edge’s History data.
I have e-mailed Garmin with my opinions.

Top Bottom