garmin mapsource route creation question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

When using mapsource how can I tell it "there definitely IS a road here whether you think otherwise or not!" ??:sad: stupid bloody thing

I've drawn a 'track', and the route tool 'snaps to' the track, but then the route it draws tries to go round the road to a point on the track! I just want it to go down the track... stupid bloody thing

so damn frustrating

I've got it set to 'favour minor roads' and shortest distance rather than quickest time, but still no joy.

e.g.: i've drawn a track where west drayton avenue is, but it won't damn well recognise it, instead it puts the route as is shown in pink.
3337638871_54f6fb8ae8.jpg

any ideas?

RedBike

I wouldn't go trusting mapsourse's maps.
Have a read of this..
http://redbikes.blogspot.com/2009/02/garmin-map-source-review-rant.html

Save your mapsourse as a gpx then open it up in something like google-earth. Then hopefully you can see exactly whats there.
I also like http://www.bikehike.co.uk/ as there's an OS map beside the road map and you can plot your route on either / both.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

It's worse doing it in a non-mapsource thing than mapsource, because the routes are ever so slightly off, mapsource's maps tally up exactly with the actual positions of roads on the garmin. The last audax i did with a non-mapsource created map it kept spazzing out because the route wasn't precisely overlayed onto the actual road, in other words the lat-longs of the route were slightly away from where the garmin thinks the roads are, so every so often it will keep telling me to go down a side road that isn't part of the route at all.
I don't know whether they apply a weird projection to the satellite info deliberately to make you use mapsource or what...

RedBike

Arrr right, thats intresting.
It sounds like there's more than one 'standard'.

Your garmin maps align with mapsource but not with any other mapping software.
Whereas the maps on my Garmin (probably an older model) are the other way around. They don't agree with mapsource but they do align correctly with everything else i've tired.

I have since tried a few routes using the mapsource Topo maps (not the base map). They align perfectly with the Garmin and the online maps. The routes plotted using Garmins Topo maps still don't align correctly with their own base maps!

Presumably if you'd spent £150 on these topo maps they'd be next to useless as they'd be miss-aligned on your Garmin?

How do you get on when you download a route off the internet. Presumably they'd be wrong too?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

aha! - bingo, sorted it. :sad:

I downloaded the latest version (6.15.4) and the 'replace route section'/'insert route section' function actually WORKS. (it didn't do anything before)

OP
OP
B

bonj2

RedBike said:
Arrr right, thats intresting.
It sounds like there's more than one 'standard'.

Your garmin maps align with mapsource but not with any other mapping software.
Whereas the maps on my Garmin (probably an older model) are the other way around. They don't agree with mapsource but they do align correctly with everything else i've tired.

I have since tried a few routes using the mapsource Topo maps (not the base map). They align perfectly with the Garmin and the online maps. The routes plotted using Garmins Topo maps still don't align correctly with their own base maps!

Presumably if you'd spent £150 on these topo maps they'd be next to useless as they'd be miss-aligned on your Garmin?

How do you get on when you download a route off the internet. Presumably they'd be wrong too?
that's the only reason why I know they're wrong, because a route downloaded off the internet didn't work very well. It worked ok, to a large extent, but kept thinking i'd "veered" off-road

goto edit, preferences, click on the routing tab, at the top you see 'use auto routing' and 'use direct routes' click for direct routes, and it will let you go down tracks, minor roads etc, which it otherwise tries to route around. hope that helps bonj.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

yep that's what i did for inserting the route section that it thought was off-road (it's actually a road but one that is closed to cars), it's just the 'insert route section' function did bugger all until i updatedto the latest version! So I could create the route section i wanted, but i couldn't integrate it into the rest of the route i'd already created.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Sorry I came to this late as I have had the same issue with an unmapped crossing of the M3 and came up with the same solution.

Mapsource has improved no end since last year but its still (tries to be polite) quirky. At least they've improved the map to a 'google-maps' style - the old-school vector graphics were unusable, especially if you're colour-blind. That was disablist that was.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Bollo said:
Sorry I came to this late as I have had the same issue with an unmapped crossing of the M3 and came up with the same solution.

Mapsource has improved no end since last year but its still (tries to be polite) quirky. At least they've improved the map to a 'google-maps' style - the old-school vector graphics were unusable, especially if you're colour-blind. That was disablist that was.

:thumbsup: I wouldn't call it 'google maps style'...but then again i do have l33t cartographic skillz

Top Bottom