Garmin Speed/cadence sensor (GSC10)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

As a newbie to road bikes, I am thinking about putting the above on my Chrimbo list. I already have a Forerunner 50 watch for running which suits me fine for what I want. Therefore, seemed the obvious (and fairly inexpensive, at 30-odd notes) thing to just add the cadence sensor to my cycle. However, with no experience of cycle computers etc. would be interested to hear from anyone who has used the Garmin sensor (I would be using it on a Specialized Allez). Or would I be better off getting a separate, cheapish cycle computer?

Thanks for your help

Blott's Mate

I have a Forerunner 305 that I used for running & attach it the handlebars on the turbo. The cadence sensor was easy to attach & it displays time/distance & a tiny HR value on the screen. It doesn't have a facilty for displaying cadence but records it so when you chk the history it tells you what your av/max cadence was. No experience of the FR 50 though

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Thanks - I will need to check that the distance funtionality works with the FR50 which is not GPS, but looks like it may be a decent add-on to my watch rather than a completely different cycle computer.

yello

If the FR50 gives you what you want then the additional of the cadence/speed sensor makes sense.

Personally, if that's all I wanted to spend, then I'd look at a cycle computer. I think the FR50 looks to be more running orientated than cycling and I'd personally prefer my cycle computer to be on the handlebars rather than my wrist.

The Cateye Strada, for instance, is around the £30 mark.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Thanks Yello. I have thought about the Cateye computers, so will have a closer look. Just want to get some use out of the Garmin FR50 as running has been restricted because of achilles problems. Garmin do a bracket for mounting to watch on the handlebars for about a tenner.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Thanks Crackle. Leaning towards the Garmin sensor on the basis that I've been impressed by the watch generally. However, if any others have used the sensor with a FR50 let me know before I confirm the order with Santa:blush::biggrin:

Top Bottom