Gear Adjustments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith

Hi All

As you may have seen from my post about dodgy paint, I am a newbie when it comes to cycling (unless you count my teenage years - but they were some time ago).

Wife and I bought a pair of cycles last week and we are having some problems with hers.

It has 21 speed Shimano gears. 3 at the pedals and 7 on the rear.

Any way, to cut a long story short, when the front gear is on anything but 2 (the centre one) it scrapes the chain on the derailleur and makes a horrible noise.

Now I am the first to admit I don't actually know what I am doing, but had a go at adjusting them. Managed to get it so 1st and 2nd were OK, but then couldn't get it to even engage 3rd.

Does this sound like a simple adjustment job?

We are taking it back to the shop to get the paint looked at so was going to ask them to check them for me but want to at least know what I am talking about ;)

Thanks in advance

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello Keith and welcome to CC ;)

Check this out...
http://bicycletutor.com/part/front-derailleur/

Hope this helps,
SD

Big John

Guru
Front mechs can be a pig to adjust. The shop you bought the bikes from should be happy to take a look for you.

OP
OP
K

Keith

Thanks for the welcome Sittingduck, and thanks Big John, I am going to take it back in the morning to let them sort it out because I am baffled :smile:

Top Bottom