Gear cable clamps (vintage)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rorytymon

Regular
Hi there I'm new to cycling and decided to buy an old beat up bike not long ago and have fun restoring it. I'm in the process of removing all the parts and have found the gear cable clamps (outside mounted) have two cables per clamp - pictures attached.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of some replacements for these as I'll have to break one of them due to it not having a screw.

Many thanks, Rory.

P.S. What colour should I paint the frame, grip tape colours shown for judgment :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_112836.jpg
    IMG_20200529_112836.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200529_112832.jpg
    IMG_20200529_112832.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200529_112827.jpg
    IMG_20200529_112827.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 15907491411561080617054359655467.jpg
    15907491411561080617054359655467.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 7

midlife

Guru
Welcome :smile:. Not sure what you mean? The whole of the inner cable / outer needs ditching and moving over to bare cables, not sure why the previous owner did that.

As for colour that's a personal choice :smile:

OP
OP
R

rorytymon

Regular
Welcome :smile:. Not sure what you mean? The whole of the inner cable / outer needs ditching and moving over to bare cables, not sure why the previous owner did that.

As for colour that's a personal choice :smile:
Thanks for the reply. The gear cables are outer ones I was asking about the clamps that hold them down, not sure of they have a proper name or not

carpenter

Über Member
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure why the cable outers (and they look quite expensive ones) run the whole length of the tube from the levers - can you take a picture of the bottom bracket end of the fame looking from above (like these):

If you have "braze on" cable guides (first image) really easy and no need for cable outer all the way down from the levers, just bare wire.

If there are no cable guides down there then you will need a "bolt on" cable guide (second image), again really easy and you can get the guides like these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-...970960?hash=item2aca701ad0:g:AQYAAMXQq8BQ4fSE

Any more questions please just ask - happy to help :smile:

on the colour, whatever turns you on (sorry if you chose the handlebar tape, but I don't like multi colour - I'm old and conventional, brown, black or white).
On type of paint, I would suggest enamel if bike is valuable/nice lugs or powder coat if lugs are simple - some amazing effects/finishes available in powder coat now (on fancy lugs powder coating can obscure the detail/fine lines).

edit: by the way, first image is powder coat, second stove enamel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rorytymon

Regular
Thanks for the reply. I am assuming my bike is like the second image as it has no metal runners attached to the bike itself (its dark right now I can add some pictures tomorrow if needed). Ill buy one of those cable guides which to have shown. I have another question, how do I know when you have the cable in the protective tubing and when to have it running bare like the top image?

Thanks, Rory.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure why the cable outers (and they look quite expensive ones) run the whole length of the tube from the levers - can you take a picture of the bottom bracket end of the fame looking from above (like these):

View attachment 526876

View attachment 526877

If you have "braze on" cable guides (first image) really easy and no need for cable outer all the way down from the levers, just bare wire.

If there are no cable guides down there then you will need a "bolt on" cable guide (second image), again really easy and you can get the guides like these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-...970960?hash=item2aca701ad0:g:AQYAAMXQq8BQ4fSE

Any more questions please just ask - happy to help :smile:

on the colour, whatever turns you on (sorry if you chose the handlebar tape, but I don't like multi colour - I'm old and conventional, brown, black or white).
On type of paint, I would suggest enamel if bike is valuable/nice lugs or powder coat if lugs are simple - some amazing effects/finishes available in powder coat now (on fancy lugs powder coating can obscure the detail/fine lines).

edit: by the way, first image is powder coat, second stove enamel.

carpenter

Über Member
Morning Rory,

Your bike frame seems strange to me, does it have no braze ons for derailleur gear cables (others on here would have more experience, but was it originally made for Sturmley Archer gears?). Anyway, if there are no braze ons you will also need one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...995779?hash=item2f2ed247c3:g:AeYAAMXQQJBQ9GSd

I tend to use as little outer casing as possible on straight runs (reduce friction), only needed to smoothly guide inner cable around curves/bends:

Regards. Guy.

Hi and :welcome:

There is also another means of guiding and routing the cables underneath the bottom bracket by using a plastic guide fitted to the bottom bracket .
I just zoomed in on one of your pictures and that is how your cables run .

OP
OP
R

rorytymon

Regular
Morning Rory,

Your bike frame seems strange to me, does it have no braze ons for derailleur gear cables (others on here would have more experience, but was it originally made for Sturmley Archer gears?). Anyway, if there are no braze ons you will also need one of these:

View attachment 526926

View attachment 526927

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...995779?hash=item2f2ed247c3:g:AeYAAMXQQJBQ9GSd

I tend to use as little outer casing as possible on straight runs (reduce friction), only needed to smoothly guide inner cable around curves/bends:

View attachment 526928

View attachment 526929

Regards. Guy.

Thanks Guy, they are braze ons by the looks of things, ive just taken everything off and I think the previous owner has essentially cable tied everything on. Ive ordered some of the fittings, thanks a lot for your help!

Top Bottom