Gear change woes..will reducing chain length help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stul

Veteran
Hi,
I have been struggling to set up gear change on my recently acquired (2nd hand) Dawes Karakum, (Shimano Deore 9 speed). The chain was "kinked", so I purchased and fitted a new chain. I have seen all the DIY gear set up videos and I am happy that I have done everything to the letter..however I can't seem to get the correct balance between the cable tension and the derailliur tension screw.....would shortening the chain help?..I did not take any links out when I fitted the new chain, (purchased a "deore" 9 speed chain from reputable supplier).

Any feedback gratefully accepted...

thanks

oldroadman

Veteran
Count the number of links on old chain, ensure new chain matches. Adjust as necessary. Consider rear cluster may be worn as well and this could be contributing to the problem. Sprocket replacement (the lot!) may be the answer if this is the case.

GrasB

Veteran
Okay, route the chain around the largest sprocket on the rear cassette & the largest chainring without going through the rear dérailleur. To that length add 1 full link (an inner & outer link pair). Always go for slightly longer on any miss-matches rather than shorter -
If you end up with two outer links being the measured chain length then add 2 inners & 1 outer instead of one inner
If you're half way between link rivets use the rivet which makes the chain longer
Yes this does mean you can end up with a chain that's effectively 2 links longer than needed but that shouldn't matter as long as you're not stretching the rear dérailleur to its absolute capacity limits.

Last edited:

hoski

Veteran
You probably should have taken some links out - the method @GrasB suggested is as good a method to determine chain length if you no longer have the old chain. In fact, it's probably a good idea to use that method anyway as there is no way to guarantee the previous owner had the correct chain length in the first place.

OP
OP
S

Stul

Veteran
Hi all,and many thanks for the input. I ordered a new IceToolz chain link remover, (borrowed one of a mate to remove the old chain and thought it was a tidy piece of kit)). The company I got it from also suggested changing to a KMC chain link rather than the Shimano "pin", so I hope this works with a Shimano chain. I will give it a go this weekend using the above advice to check the length.

I am new to "bike maintenance", but a couple of months ago I decided to do up my 15 yr old (2nd hand) Claude Butler mountain bike. I was on the verge of trashing it, but fancied a "rough" bike for casual cycling and taking along with the caravan..ie does not matter so much if it gets knocked or nicked. So spent about £100 on new chains, gears and other bits and bobs, (I was amazed how cheap some of the bits are..admittedly probably not the best grade), but the bike now rides really well and I prefer it to the much newer and higher spec Dawes!

Thanks again for the input...

Top Bottom