Gear problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Derailleur

Hello

I am totally new to this site and could be described as new to cycling.

I last had a bike when i was a child aged 15 which was in the early 70's

So I decdied buy myself a mountain bike, I got a Fuji 24 gear ladies bike, the store made it up and this morning i went for my first ride.

The chain came off, then sort of went back on.

I couldnt get the left hand gear up to 3.

When i got home we have had a look at the derailleur and it appears that the gear cassette (think that is the techinical name) appears to be wobbling.
The chain seems to be catching on a couple of cogs on the cassette
The chain is also catching a piece of metal with the words top swing written on it.

Sorry if this is a bit amateurish, I really dont know much about bikes at all.

I suppose the advice would be to take it back to the shop, however, i live in the Middle East and its so complicated and dont want to get all the way back to the shop if i can sort it myself.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whilst I agree that it is good to know how to sort out a bike - for a brand new bike you really shouldn't have to... especially if you don't have much technical knowledge. Me I would take it back as once you start tinkering with it - not necessarily knowing what you are doing - you invalidate the warranty.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
You get a little wobble from the cassette if you spin the pedals and stop and free wheel, but if it's really loose looking then the lock ring on the cassette may have worked loose and need righting, this will require a specific tool that you will need to buy for this job.

If the chain is making a noise and jumping up or down gears on the cassette when pedaling then the rear cable tension needs adjusting, there is a cable tensioner on the rear mech but you can take all your gears out of synch if your not sure what your doing, they key is to make quater turns.

But if this is a little to much then you'll have to take it back to the shop.

OP
OP
D

Derailleur

Thanks for the answers, looked at the tutorials, considering carefully the advice of taking it back to the shop, then had a good few hours tinkering, which I really enjoyed.

Like I said before the last bike i had was years ago and my dad used to sort out any little problems.

I hadnt realised how interesting the mechanics of a bike could be.

The problem is now solved and i cant wait to get out tomorrow morning.

Top Bottom