Gearing Advice?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rovers1875

Veteran
Can anybody give any advise on the best way to adjust the gearing. I live in Accrington (E Lancs) and if I ride out towards the Ribble Valley / West coast the terrain is reasonably flat / undulating. Most of my riding has been in this area. however if I head the other way towards Rossendale it gets hilly (this has been avoided as much as possible).
I have two bikes, a basic Sectuer road bike and a Claud Butler Hybrid, Both 21 speed, and I have never really paid any attention to the gearing ( I just knew the Sectuer was quicker) I put this down to the skinny tyres and the fact it is only half the weight. But as I have now started to attempt some of the bigger hills, I have noticed that despite the extra weight, the hybrid is much easier to ride up hill. For example one of the biggest hills locally (Pendle hill), I can get over on the hybrid with only slight need for oxygen and medical attention, but have yet to complete this climb on the Sectuer (yes I realise that extra effort will eventually get me up there)
Because of this I have taken note of the numbers on the chainrings / cassette on the Sectuer the front is 52-43-30 with the rear a 13-26 on the hybrid it has 48-38-28 with the rear 15-29.
So this is what I am seeking advice on, with these numbers, is would there be such a difference. is the sectuer particularly high geared that I need to make changes to the chainset or cassette. or is the hybrid just low geared. Or am I wimp and need to get more practice on hills.
Any help would be apprieciated as I haven't a clue what these numbers mean or the best way to make the Sectuer easier to go up hills

kilf

This should help

http://home.i1.net/~dwolfe/gerz/

But to be fair im around 16 stone and there isnt much you cant pedal up on a triple road chainset. Your position on the Hybrid could be much better allowing better climbing ( do you sit up and climb on the tops of the bars on the Secteur ...Watch the Pros on the mountain stages of the big tours)..wheel size also has a bearing. ( dont get me wrong I hate hills but my fitness gives out well before my gears).

The way I climb is in my mind I class standing climbing as cheating and I hold out as long as I can before standing. (Not saying it is cheating in fact I know its not but my Ego wont accept it as so)

Are you actually saying you are pedalling in 30x26 and its still to hard? (Just a question even if it sounds like a put down I promise it is not) if not change down further

I've never had a Sectuer myself, its gearing gearing seem on the low side, I've got a similarly geared converted sirrus (although mine's a 52/42/30 12-25) and it will get up almost anything, gearing wise its perfect, high enough for when you need the speed but low enough (with a back up granny) for when you need it. You could perhaps go to the cost of lower gearing but tbh more practice is a better solution.

Top Bottom