Gearing on a triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Randochap said:
BTW, downhills is where you tuck and rest, after pushing hard on the uphill! Who pedals?:biggrin:

Gearing for long distance.

Thank God for that, thought it was only me:biggrin:

If I could ask another question, was looking at other bikes and curious re a 10 speed cassette with a compact/double??, if that's the correct term, chainring. At present I'm doing as described, ie avoiding the extremes, but wondered if the same was necessary if only 2 chainrings? My thinking is that, of my 27 gears, I've only really got 23 useable. So my range of inches is from 38.8 to 100.9, and I actually use 38.8 to 81.5 right now. Looking at a 10 speed 12-25 with 34/50 upfront. This would give me a range from 36.4 to 111.5 which would seem to give me the same coverage with less to go wrong.

That is assuming that all 20 gears are available, and advisable, for use in that set up. I'd even consider swapping the cassette for a 13-26 making it 35 to 103 as a range. Like you I can't really imagine needing more than, or even getting to, a 103inch gear.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Darn, sorry, been dumb there, it's not the numerical extremes to avoid but the diagonals. So, on my current triple the easiest on the 52 and the hardest on the 30. If I avoid 2 at each point this removes 54.3, 61.4, 62.7 & 67.9. All of these are in the inches range I use.

Randochap

Senior hunter
MacBludgeon said:
Darn, sorry, been dumb there, it's not the numerical extremes to avoid but the diagonals. So, on my current triple the easiest on the 52 and the hardest on the 30. If I avoid 2 at each point this removes 54.3, 61.4, 62.7 & 67.9. All of these are in the inches range I use.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Chainlines vary. You have to make an assessment of where you get rub or excessive chain vibration/grinding. You should be able to feel when extreme chainline occurs. Avoid extremes.

Refer to my page on gearing for my opinion on different drivetrains and follow links for more info on chainline.

Top Bottom