Gears slipping on zwift hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Hi there,

Does anyone have any tips on mounting your bike on a direct drive trainer so the gears aren’t all over the place. I have very smooth shifting with my back wheel in place but as soon as I drop the bike on the trainer my gears are not indexed at all. The marina issue looks like the bike won’t sit flush on the quick release properly. I have the zwift hub and I’m using the correct cassette size and quick release adapter that’s supplied. Couple of friends are using the hub and have the same issues. Any tips ???

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Possibly something to do with the presence or absence of spacers behind the cassette?

How many gears on the cassette?

Although that doesn't address the "bike doesn't sit flush" issue.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Sounds like there is a displacement of the cassette comparing the rear wheel and the trainer. If it's possible to whip the cassette of of the hub do so and check for the existence of a spacer, if not add one, and see if that solves it.

IIRC there was talk of an issue with the cassette supplied with the Zwift hub ... Which is why it's now a single speed with virtual gears ... Can't recall where I saw that though.

Red17

Veteran
If it's not sitting correctly are you using the rear spacers properly as most trainers come with a couple or they can be reversable to suit either rim or disc brakes (different axle spacings)

bridgy

Legendary Member
Hi there,

Does anyone have any tips on mounting your bike on a direct drive trainer so the gears aren’t all over the place. I have very smooth shifting with my back wheel in place but as soon as I drop the bike on the trainer my gears are not indexed at all. The marina issue looks like the bike won’t sit flush on the quick release properly. I have the zwift hub and I’m using the correct cassette size and quick release adapter that’s supplied. Couple of friends are using the hub and have the same issues. Any tips ???

If you have the Zwift Hub trainer you can now get this - https://uk.zwift.com/products/zwift-cog-click-upgrade-kit?variant=44180608778480 - and have virtual shifting which should solve your problem?

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
If you have the Zwift Hub trainer you can now get this - https://uk.zwift.com/products/zwift-cog-click-upgrade-kit?variant=44180608778480 - and have virtual shifting which should solve your problem?

This wins. Didn’t know you could just upgrade the hub

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
This fixes it. There’s just one cig that’s seated perfectly. The rear derailleur doesn’t move from the middle of the cassette. The zwift app tells the trainer what gear you’re currently in. So no more crunchy shifts and grinding gears.

CXRAndy

Guru
This fixes it. There’s just one cig that’s seated perfectly. The rear derailleur doesn’t move from the middle of the cassette. The zwift app tells the trainer what gear you’re currently in. So no more crunchy shifts and grinding gears.

I've just got this hub for my lads turbo. It's his Christmas present

Top Bottom