General lubrication.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
What's everyones procedure for lubrication?

Does everyone lubricate their derailers, shifters, clipless pedals?

Up till now iv just given them a quick spray with that Teflon coating lubrication stuff...was wondering if anyone uses anything better?

Pauluk

After washing and drying the bike I use GT85 on my cassette, front and rear derailleurs and chain, then wipe off the excess (spend a few minutes wiping the excess off the chain). I also use it sparingly on all of the frame paint work, crank arms etc then wipe off with a rag. This gets done between one to two weeks depending on how dirty the bike gets or I may do it straight after a wet weather ride.

Drago

Legendary Member
I lube Derailleurs and occasionally shifters with Rock Oil Maintenance Spray. I never lube bearings with anything except grease - adding oil to bearings serves only to flush the grease away.

Shimano SPDs are very easy to stripe, clean and repack with grease. You need the special plastic tool which costs about a fiver, but makes life sooooo easy. I clean my SPDs with car wax shampoo and a brush and give the a quick spray with the Rock Oil when dry.

My chain and cassette regime is quite similar to Paul's.

byegad

Legendary Member
GT85 on dérailleurs, ditto on exposed cable lengths. Chainsaw oil on chains, when the chain get dirty a light spray with GT85 and wipe with a dry cloth gets the muck and old oil off and then relube. Chainsaw oil is thick and sticks to metal with little grit pick up properties, so well over 1000 dryish miles is no problem and one of my trikes has covered 2000 since the last chain lube. The chain life seems better and so does the cassette and chainring wear since I started using the oil as an experiment, so I'll continue with it.

Drago

Legendary Member
And WD is injurious to rubber components such as bearing and fork seals.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Chainsaw oil is vegetable oil, isn't it?

I almost never oil my bike; I just dry it off after washing with car shampoo and run the chain through a rag then lube lightly. Every four or five rides I clean the chain in kerosine and re-lube it, mine last about 4000 miles with that regime.... but I seldom ride in the rain.

U

User6179

I almost never oil my bike; I just dry it off after washing with car shampoo and run the chain through a rag then lube lightly. Every four or five rides I clean the chain in kerosine and re-lube it, mine last about 4000 miles with that regime.... but I seldom ride in the rain.

My chain gets washed when it rains then I oil it with 3in1 oil ,I never clean it and my last chain got to 5000 miles:tongue:

subaqua

What’s the point

depends on whether you buy synthetic or not. vegetable oil gums up very quickly

Acyclo

Veteran
Spray oils can be a bit messy, if you ask me. 3in1 isn't a bad option, at least it doesn't get all over everything.

HovR

Über Member
I lube my chain with Finish Line Dry, either every two weeks or so (or after a wet ride/it starts squeaking).

I don't lube derailleurs or modern cables until they start to need it and are operating rough, and I'll normally use something like GT85 for that.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Prolink. Chain. All pivot points. Not bearings. Use a hypodermic/luber. Campag cables - no need. Light spray all over bike with GT85 after cleaning.

Top Bottom