General maintenance icluding buckled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

km991148

Ok, so following the frozen hub revelation on another thread, I am going to give some much needed tlc to my ol' hybrid. A few things have been anoying me recently and going to tackle them at the weekend..

My main issue is I have a bit of 'wobble' on the rear wheel, I have tried to take it off and re-seat it a few times over last few months but I think it must be buckled, whats the solution to this, is it just a case of straightening it out by tightening spokes? I have seen tutorial on this before and know it takes a bit of patience, but anything else I should look for? Its got so bad I have disabled the rear brakes (not good for the ice..), as I can never get them to sit properly due to the kink in the wheel..

I also need to sort out the derailleur as a couple of changes arent as smooth as I would like..
also is there anything else to be recommended after a couple of years moderate use? Bearings or anything to be greased etc?

I have the ususal allen keys/spanners etc, will need to get a spoke key from somewhere, and a tub of grease any other tools?

I think I will also get a new rear hub for 'backup' incase I have the problem from the other thread in the future? Will any old brand name one do? Its currently down as a
Shimano M-530 Deore, 32h, QR.

Finnaly, I have looked after the chain, is it worth replacing periodically? I cant see any signs of damage, but I am not 100% sure on what to look for..

Thanks in advance,
km

02GF74

Über Member
re: wobble. if the rim is bent, then you would need to loosen spokes ner the wobble, lay it on 2 blocks of wood and stamp in betweenthe blocks to bend it back - will work ok on steel rims but not so god on aluminium as it stretches. it may be that the spokes need adjsuting. you can do this yourself by undoing spokes and then tightening the ones in between on the opposite side to pull the wobble over.

chain - these wear over time - either buy a chain wear tool - search on here - or else use vernier caliper to measure 10 links; once you reach 127.6 mm (from memory) the chain needs replacing - this is 1.0 % wear from new.

ideally you should replace at 0.75% but if you go beyond that, then you woill find that the chain will skip on the most common used sprockets ont he cassetter so you would need to replace cassette too.

bad boy

Über Member
12 links should be 12 inches according to the Haynes manual.

It sounds like your bike really needs a full service, you will definitely need some tools for this which if you dont have at the moment will incur costs. Alternatively get a shop to service it for you and then pick up the essential maintenance from there on.

If it was me and im very much learning myself I would get my lbs to do a full service and then continue there after.

OP
OP
K

km991148

yeah, thanks all..

I was gonna combine wheel straighten with a hub replacement and general tighten up as well as realighnement of deraileurs and brakes, but maybe I will call round a few places and look at servicing, my only problem with this is:

1. My lack of trust with any mechanics! (nah not really, but the guy I spoke to this morning was adament I needed a whole new wheel.. I couldnt argue as I wasnt 100% (99%) but I will know work before the service)
2. Main point.. I live in dublin now where every part costs approx 50% more than back in scotland.

Now if I do attempt myself, I will have new tools and perhaps some knowledge (and maybe even a working bike at the end of it!), but whether or not I can be @rsed.. as I will probably take me 8+ hours and a lot of swearing...

bad boy

Über Member
In that case Km have a google of bicycle tutor and look at the park tools webiste for each of the jobs you mentioned above and that will give you a detailed guide of whats required and the tools you need also.

If you then feel motivated to do it yourself then give it ago. I can do most things now but to be honest I do get my bike serviced every 5 months at my LBS which is decent, I do everything else myself in between like re-indexing the gears, brake adjustment, wheel truing, chain cleaning and lubing, hub adjustment etc.

All of that has been with the help of the good people on here and alot of reading to be honest but im getting there.

OP
OP
K

km991148

bad boy said:
In that case Km have a google of bicycle tutor and look at the park tools webiste for each of the jobs you mentioned above and that will give you a detailed guide of whats required and the tools you need also.

If you then feel motivated to do it yourself then give it ago. I can do most things now but to be honest I do get my bike serviced every 5 months at my LBS which is decent, I do everything else myself in between like re-indexing the gears, brake adjustment, wheel truing, chain cleaning and lubing, hub adjustment etc.

All of that has been with the help of the good people on here and alot of reading to be honest but im getting there.

hmm.. been on bicycle tutor and sheldons site, and now I am having second thoughts lol.. the whole hub business looks like it may require a good deal of patience.. will call round for service quotes now that I have a better idea of what I am talking about (thanks to all on here)!

Top Bottom