Genesis Equilibrium stack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velochris

Über Member
I'm looking at a used Genesis Equilibrium but the fork column has been cut fairly short. It has an external headset.

I always thought the stack height ona geometry chart was calculate to the centre of the head tube, not the centre of the top headset.

Given I think will be right on the margin (given I want to use a 6 degree stem) I phoned Genesis to confirm. The person I spoke to took a while to understand what I was getting at and the said he presumed it would be to the top of the head tube.

Anybody with an Equilibrium who could measure their bike and compare to a geometry chart (ideally a newer one as I belive the geometry was tweaked in the last couple of years)?

Thanks.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If it's of any help in deciphering Genesis' measurement convention the quoted value for my Croix de Fer is 593mm, I measured it at 596mm to the top centre of the headtube.

From this I'd guess that you're correct that the measurement should be to the top of the tube, not the top of the headset.

Would be good to get this corroborated by a few more folks to be sure though :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The person I spoke to took a while to understand what I was getting at

Not sure I get what you are getting at either?

Stack height is surely the amount added to the head tube by the headset?

The angle of your chosen stem is irrelevant. Only thing that matters is the clamp height compared to the clamp height of the stem you are removing.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
If it's of any help in deciphering Genesis' measurement convention the quoted value for my Croix de Fer is 593mm, I measured it at 596mm to the top centre of the headtube.

From this I'd guess that you're correct that the measurement should be to the top of the tube, not the top of the headset.

Would be good to get this corroborated by a few more folks to be sure though :smile:

Spot on. Good enough for me that it will be measured as expected.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
Not sure I get what you are getting at either?

Stack height is surely the amount added to the head tube by the headset?

The angle of your chosen stem is irrelevant. Only thing that matters is the clamp height compared to the clamp height of the stem you are removing.

Headset stack is what you are describing. I was asking about frame stack. Maybe I did confuse him.

iandg

Legendary Member
I have a 2016 XL Genesis Equilibrium. Can measure if it helps but 6 years old.

25931105557_b7589a0504_c.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom