Genuine Walvale? Rough value?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walvale_checker

Hi all, any chance you can help to gauge the value of the bike shown in the attached photos?

It belonged to a work colleague who recently died, and his family are trying to decide if it’s worth selling it or better to keep it as a memento of him. I don’t have a great deal of detail on the spec, other than it being a 56 cm frame with a Campag groupset. I’ve only seen the bike in the photos, but it looks like it needs a bit of TLC. It also has my colleague’s name inscribed on both sides of the top tube, which I guess won’t help the value. I've marked over the name in the photos.

The serial number is 051184, which from the research I’ve done suggests it’s not a genuine Walvale frame, as I believe these have a four digit serial number. Is that right?

If anyone could give even a rough estimate of its value, the family would be very grateful. Thank you.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 19
  • 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 22

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Evening @walvale_checker and sorry to hear about the circumstances connected to this bike .

My first comment is if there is a family member who it fits then theu should keep it and use it as if sold you might never get it back .

Where are you based ?

Value is hard to say as it will depend on the circumstances ie quick sale or not

midlife

Guru
Sorry to hear your tale. The frame looks genuine as it has engraved parts on the frame. It probably dates from the late 70's. Some parts like the seat post, saddle, handlebars are likely original but some parts are newer.

Personally I'd suggest keeping in the family rather than selling, maybe worth £250. Some buyers (not Biggs 682) try and make a lowball offer and then part it out on eBay for profit.

OP
OP
W

walvale_checker

Thanks @biggs682 and @midlife.

Great to know it could be a genuine Walvale. I don't think anyone in the family will use it, hence their interest in selling. But they could always keep it for sentiment.

The family is based in Cheshire. I don't think they're desperate to sell, so could hold out for a relatively high offer.

Do you think having his name inscribed on the top tube will affect the value/number of interested buyers?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd say £200-250 is a good ballpark figure. Nice bike. Stick it on eBay with a reasonable reserve. Be honest with the description and say it needs restoring and has worn parts. That then covers you from comebacks. Local collection unless you want to be bothered with packing and associated problems.
Any Reynolds tubing sticker?
Bikes are currently in quite high demand so you might get more than suggested.

Last edited:
Top Bottom