Get Your Pothole Claims In !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

A Team Sky cycling boss has received undisclosed damages from a council after being left with broken bones when her bike hit a pothole.

Fran Millar, 34, was thrown off her bike after she swerved to avoid one pothole in Oldham's High Street but then injured herself on another.

Her lawyers said they successfully settled a claim against Oldham Council for a defect in the road.

Oldham Council said there was a "national pothole funding crisis".

Ms Millar, who is the head of business operations at Team Sky, suffered fractures to her cheek, jaw and fingers, and had several teeth knocked out in the incident in May 2010.

'Shake confidence'
She said: "I feel extremely lucky to be back on my bike again with both my physical and mental scars healed or healing.

"A crash like this happens so suddenly it can shake your entire confidence on the bike.

"Had I not hit the pothole caused by these roadworks I would have been forced out into the road into the path of motorists.

Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote
There is a national pothole funding crisis - Oldham is no different”

Dave HibbertOldham councillor
"Having safe roads benefits everyone."

Ms Millar, who is the sister of professional cyclist David Millar, is back at work and recently completed the Etape du Tour, a 198km amateur stage of the Tour de France.

Penny Knight, from law firm Leigh Day, said: "It was clear that the damage to the road, which caused this crash, was a result of poor resurfacing after the road had been dug up by the council for works to underground pipes."

The law firm added councils had an "obligation" to taxpayers "to ensure all roads are suitable and safe for all users".

Oldham Council said it was pleased Ms Millar had made a full recovery.

Dave Hibbert, Oldham Council's cabinet member for environment, added: "There is a national pothole funding crisis - Oldham is no different.

"On massively-reduced budgets we must assess and prioritise all potholes on the basis of risk."

In November last year, Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins was knocked off his bike when he collided with a van in Wrightington, Lancashire.

The Olympic gold medallist and Team Sky cyclist suffered a dislocated finger and fractured rib.

The morning after Wiggins' accident British Cycling head coach Shane Sutton had a bike crash in Levenshulme, Greater Manchester.

what does this have to do with potholes???

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A Team Sky cycling boss has received undisclosed damages from a council after being left with broken bones when her bike hit a pothole.

Fran Millar, 34, was thrown off her bike after she swerved to avoid one pothole in Oldham's High Street but then injured herself on another.

Her lawyers said they successfully settled a claim against Oldham Council for a defect in the road.

Oldham Council said there was a "national pothole funding crisis".

Ms Millar, who is the head of business operations at Team Sky, suffered fractures to her cheek, jaw and fingers, and had several teeth knocked out in the incident in May 2010.

'Shake confidence'
She said: "I feel extremely lucky to be back on my bike again with both my physical and mental scars healed or healing.

"A crash like this happens so suddenly it can shake your entire confidence on the bike.

"Had I not hit the pothole caused by these roadworks I would have been forced out into the road into the path of motorists.

Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote
There is a national pothole funding crisis - Oldham is no different”

Dave HibbertOldham councillor
"Having safe roads benefits everyone."

Ms Millar, who is the sister of professional cyclist David Millar, is back at work and recently completed the Etape du Tour, a 198km amateur stage of the Tour de France.

Penny Knight, from law firm Leigh Day, said: "It was clear that the damage to the road, which caused this crash, was a result of poor resurfacing after the road had been dug up by the council for works to underground pipes."

The law firm added councils had an "obligation" to taxpayers "to ensure all roads are suitable and safe for all users".

Oldham Council said it was pleased Ms Millar had made a full recovery.

Dave Hibbert, Oldham Council's cabinet member for environment, added: "There is a national pothole funding crisis - Oldham is no different.

"On massively-reduced budgets we must assess and prioritise all potholes on the basis of risk."

In November last year, Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins was knocked off his bike when he collided with a van in Wrightington, Lancashire.

The Olympic gold medallist and Team Sky cyclist suffered a dislocated finger and fractured rib.

The morning after Wiggins' accident British Cycling head coach Shane Sutton had a bike crash in Levenshulme, Greater Manchester.

what does this have to do with potholes???

Not sure why they included that, other than possibly showing that if you are involved with team Sky you have a disproportionate risk of crashing while riding on the public highway in North West England. :wacko::whistle:

Top Bottom