Getting a 1st bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I want to purchase my first bicycle however I am unsure whether to purchase a road bike or a hybrid bike. I will only cycle in the city on tarmac. I would ideally do 3-4 hour journeys at once. I want a bike that is light so I can make long journeys with less effort. My budget is up to £1000. Any tips and advice would be much appreciated

vickster

Legendary Member
Roadbike for 3-4 hours, lighter than a hybrid too.
Bikes are in rather short supply in the Uk and really you shouldn’t buy your first bike esp for £1000 without trying a few out

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Roadbike for 3-4 hours, lighter than a hybrid too.
Bikes are in rather short supply in the Uk and really you shouldn’t buy your first bike esp for £1000 without trying a few out
The budget is up to £1000 the bike doesn't need to necessarily cost that much. How can I try out some bikes. How does a road bike compare to a hybrid bike in terms of meeting my needs?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you have never owned a bike before you are really not going to be wanting to do 3-4 hour journeys on one until you have built up a decent level of fitness and a tough backside. The weight of the bike really is the least of your concerns.
I would buy a low-cost hybrid and get used to riding it, in traffic conditions - which is a different ball game to pootling around your local park with only dog walkers to worry about.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

If you have never owned a bike before you are really not going to be wanting to do 3-4 hour journeys on one until you have built up a decent level of fitness and a tough backside. The weight of the bike really is the least of your concerns.
I would buy a low-cost hybrid and get used to riding it, in traffic conditions - which is a different ball game to pootling around your local park with only dog walkers to worry about.

I borrow bikes and I can do 3-4 hour journeys I don't have my own bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
The budget is up to £1000 the bike doesn't need to necessarily cost that much. How can I try out some bikes. How does a road bike compare to a hybrid bike in terms of meeting my needs?
Roadbike with drop bars will be quicker on roads, even than a fast fast bar on slim tyres

Most bike shops are open, try some local to you but you may find they have little

The most important thing is that the bike is the right size for you

si_c

Guru
Endurance road bike, something along the lines of a Trek Domane or Specialized Roubaix.

A more upright riding position and the geometry means the bike will feel more stable and comfortable for longer rides.

If you have already ridden loaned bikes and are happy with them then try to get one the same in the same size.

What bike did you get ?

A modern doitall roadbike can accept wider tyres, rack and mudguards and has disk brakes so is good for roads, summer or winter, trails, commuting, shopping, day tours and multi day tours. If you dont race then it is probably the most versatile style.

Top Bottom