Getting an Arione level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow down

Recently switched to Arione saddle's after borrowing one from a work colleague, but when I use the usual method of getting the saddle level (i.e. long straight edge straight across the length of the saddle and spirit level on top) it looks like the nose is pointing upwards as the middle of the saddle seems to dip very slightly. If I set the middle-nose section level, the back points upwards.

Anyone know the right way? Should I use the spirit level straight down the saddle, or just from middle to nose?

shooter560

I'm not sure this will help, but wouldn't it be easier to just get on the bike, ride it a bit and adjust the seat as to how it feels rather than a spirit level, as I'm sure its you who's going to be on the saddle and not the level??

Just an idea :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have an Arione on my Cannondale and have had to experiment with different angles because its shape was so different to my previous saddle.

Also - the Arione is a very long saddle. In fact, Fizik had to get permission from the UCI for it to be used in races because it exceeded the then norms. You may find that you can't use measurements taken off your other bikes/saddles to determine its fore-aft position because of that. In fact, you might have to completely rethink your saddle settings.

I was once on a training camp near Benidorm when former pro Marcel Wüst was one of the guest riders. I limped back from one long training ride and said hello to Herr Wüst, who was sunning himself on the lawn outside his room. He took one look at my bike and leapt to his feet, declaring that my saddle angle was "not correct" - very German! He insisted on levelling it so that the back and front were at the same height, but as you point out slow down - that makes the front part slope upwards. I only managed to ride about 1 km with the saddle like that and I got the dreaded numb nuts syndrome. I adjusted it back to my preferred 'front section level' setting and had no further problems with it.

Start off with 'pretty level' and try angles above and below that. There might have to be a compromise between seating comfort and arm/shoulder comfort. I find the saddle more comfy when sloping down slightly, but then I feel as if I am sliding forwards and have to push back with my arms. I agree with shooter560 - go with what angle best suits you.

OP
OP
S

slow down

shooter560 said:
I'm not sure this will help, but wouldn't it be easier to just get on the bike, ride it a bit and adjust the seat as to how it feels rather than a spirit level, as I'm sure its you who's going to be on the saddle and not the level??

Just an idea ;)

I realise this, but have always found level saddles, or maybe a slight upward nose tilt to be comfortable. Plan is to use this as a starting point and then make small adjustments as I go along.

rustychisel

Marcel Wust is a tit (if his writing and reviews are anything to go by). He's also one-eyed about things (pun entirely intentional).

Arione's - you'll never get 'em level, for the reason described. I was about to throw mine away after 2000km cause I just couldn't find the right adjustment, but one day...
I've found the best for me is flat across the front so the rear curves slightly upward, a bit whale-tail like.

Joe

Über Member
rustychisel said:
I've found the best for me is flat across the front so the rear curves slightly upward, a bit whale-tail like.
This is how I have mine too. Any other position and it's massively uncomfortable!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
rustychisel said:
Marcel Wust is a tit (if his writing and reviews are anything to go by).
He's actually a very, very nice guy; friendly and helpful, even if he does insist on messing about with your bike! There is an interesting interview with him here. He did seem reluctant to say much about The Festina Affair, for fairly obvious reasons.

rustychisel said:
He's also one-eyed about things (pun entirely intentional).
He described what happened to him and it wasn't very nice. Having your face caved in by a cycling crash which caused pieces of your cheekbone to be driven up into your eye, blinding you, isn't a great subject to make puns about (IMHO)... :biggrin:

rustychisel said:
Arione's - you'll never get 'em level, for the reason described. I was about to throw mine away after 2000km cause I just couldn't find the right adjustment, but one day...
Yes, that's exactly what I found.

OP
OP
S

slow down

I did think from the riding I did on the borrowed saddle that flat front, arse end up slightly was comfortable, but just looks odd.

I'll go along with that and see how things go. Thanks all.

Graham O

Okay I know it isn't an Arione, but it has taken me many miles to get my Fizik Pave comfortable. I thought I had tried everything, but after 35km, I was in agony. And then I set the front level with the back (almost by mistake), to give a slight depression in the middle and bingo, comfort! Did 80km last weekend and no pain or discomfort whatsoever. Hope to do 100+ tomorrow and actually looking forward to a comfortable ride.

HTH

Top Bottom