Getting back on the bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AaronM

I am on countdown mode until I get my new bike and wondered if there is any advice that could be shared? I havent ridden for about 5 years.

Is it going to be a struggle riding 8 miles to work? :sad:

Any essentials that people think I need? apart from the obvious water bottle and lock?

If you're completely out of shape, you could try spinning at a gym, which should help your muscles, and more importantly, your sit bones (bum) ease back into the cycling movement.

Is your bike-to-be a goodish quality one? It doesn't have to be a top brand name, but you want something that is reliable for the type of cycling you're going to be doing.

Padded shorts, wind/rain jacket, cycling shirt, arm/leg warmers, helmet (advisable, although others may disagree), sunglasses, waterproof (Goretex) shoes/trainers for those wet days.

As and when you become more confident/experienced you may want to upgrade to better equipment/clothing.

Read this http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/ for very useful help and assistance.

Also have a look at this thread

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14846

Good luck! :tongue:

Downward

Guru
8 Miles should be easy enough as long as it's pretty flat - The hills get you when you start - I am doing once a week currently 16 mile round trip and it's ok. Just take your time and don't worry about how long it takes.

ASC1951

Guru
AaronM said:
the obvious water bottle and lock?
It might be welcome, but you won't need any fluid for an 8 mile ride and if your bike isn't secure at work a bottle's just another thing to get pinched or lost.

Fluid intake is an obsession. I see other street joggers lugging round pint bottles of water, when we're clearly all out for three or four miles. Even at my sedate pace, no-one is going to get dehydrated in that distance

philr

for me it is 11 miles each way, i did a couple of practice runs on days off to give me a good idea of time to allow, then did a few rides on my days off or evenings. just to improve my conditioning a little, then after a week of test runs etc. i did it and my time is improving steadily

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd recomment taking a water bottle - helps with hydration generally - don't forget you will be a little de-hydrated in the morning, so downing a bottle on the way to work is a good thing, same coming home - aids recovery.

Try one or two days a week at first - if you feel OK then try another day.

fossyant said:
I'd recomment taking a water bottle - helps with hydration generally - don't forget you will be a little de-hydrated in the morning, so downing a bottle on the way to work is a good thing, same coming home - aids recovery.

Try one or two days a week at first - if you feel OK then try another day.

I thought that was Lucozade! ;)

Top Bottom