Getting my left leg over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been plagued by excruciating pains in my right thigh for the last two weeks following a fall, pulled muscle/trapped nerve or somewhat (will be going to see the physio). I can still cycle at modest pace, it doesn't seem to hurt too much when I'm actually pedalling, but it's very painful to mount in my normal manner by swinging the right leg over the saddle.

So I've taken to trying to do it with the left leg instead. I find it extraordinarily difficult! In over 50 years of cycling I've never mounted the bike that way: always with the right leg, standing to the left of the bike (even when cycling overseas). The best I can manage is tilting the bike right over and then clumsily shuffling myself so as to straddle the top tube. Most inelegant! Luckily there's seldom anyone around to watch... :blush:

Anyone else as one-sided as I am?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I like to get my left leg over :whistle: and I get on my bike that way also :laugh:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm a left legger too... and unclipping, always right foot first. I'd get your physio onto it, though if i were you...

Keith Oates

Janner
I always get on the bike by putting my right leg over first but if it's really painful I think it would be worthwhile persevering using the left one first although it will feel strange for the first fews tries.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP

661-Pete

You've not cycled in a drive-on-the-right country then?
I have! Quite a lot. In fact it was in France a couple of weeks ago that I did this bit of mischief. But even there I'm accustomed to putting myself between the bike and the traffic when setting off. Not the safest option, I know, but bear in mind I do most of my cycling in rural areas with little traffic.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
To get on your bike on the left side from the pavement in France, you could just turn your bike around.....
but that doesn't help Pete- you shouldn't be doing anything without support until the leg stops hurting!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very right hand sided me. Only only problem is after my shoulder op I can't reach into my back pockets anymore with the left hand. Will need to rethink where I put snacks and the like.

Fiona N

Veteran
I feel for you Pete - I've had exactly the same problem after a fall (fractured pelvis).

I've also lived for extensive periods in RH drive countries and am, for many things ambidextrous, but putting my left leg over the bike or starting off with the left pedal seems inordinately difficult. Even on the recumbent trike I start with the right pedal although, obviously, getting into the trike isn't a 'sided' operation :rolleyes: Maybe a recumbent is the answer - lower to the ground and easier to get on (seriously - this is was my solution when I had the pelvis problem - although I wouldn't have risked a recumbent bike, the trike was great for rehabilitation).

Top Bottom