Getting my stem straight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I can get my stem pretty much in line with my front wheel just by holding th ewheel between my knees and sighting along it...but is there a more accurate way to get it bang on straight?

I can get my stem pretty much in line with my front wheel just by holding th ewheel between my knees and sighting along it...but is there a more accurate way to get it bang on straight?
Is that not good enough ? I'm sure there's a more accurate way but thats all I've ever done :wacko:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You could use a lazer to project a line along the top tube from the centre line of the saddle through the centre of the steerer cap bolt and line up the stem with that, but why bother ......... ?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No matter how careful I've been lining the stem up in the garage I can gaurantee that 100 yards down the road I'll have to stop and adjust it, it will always be a couple of mm out.

Which brings me onto one of my pet subjects, why can't manufacturers put a small mark on the steerer and a corresponding one on the stem so you can line them up without any problem?

Ditto frame and seatpost.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You could use a lazer to project a line along the top tube from the centre line of the saddle through the centre of the steerer cap bolt and line up the stem with that, but why bother ......... ?
*Of course you must also make sure that the front wheel is perfectly in line with the top tube.
You might also tape a straight edge to the stem projecting forward over the front wheel, and use that to line up the stem with the wheel.

02GF74

Über Member
piece of straight wood, place across the fork, then place a set square on the wood and align with the stem.

Top Bottom