Getting new tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

night_fusion17

Hello. I currently have 26x1.95 knobbly tyres on my mountain bike, but as I don't take it off road, I'm going to replace them with slicks.

I've got my mind set on a pair of Continental Sport Contact tyres due to hearing many good things about them. However I'm not sure what the best width would be, 1.3 or 1.6.

My ride is all on mostly smooth tarmac with some rough patches, few pot holes, and will involve riding over a few kerbs. I generally don't go that fast although faster would be better, but I would like to have light tyres to make it easier to pedal, but still want good ride comfort.

What do you guys think is best?

The 1.3's will be faster but look silly if you've got front suspension forks

I'd go for the 1.6's

Simon

OP
OP
N

night_fusion17

Thanks for the reply. I have been leaning towards the 1.3's for a while. Looks like I'll be getting those, unless anyone else thinks they're a bad idea.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Welllllll....You mention potholes and kerbs. How frequent? How heavy are you? How much of a load do you carry on the bike? You may not want to rule out the 1.6. Whichever tyre you decide on, you will like them far better on smooth road than the knobbies that you're currently using. I've had Continental Sport Contacts in the past, (currently using a different slick) and would buy them again. I like that tyre. I get 5000-6000 miles out of them.

OP
OP
N

night_fusion17

The kerbs and potholes aren't too frequent, but I suppose enough to think about. I'm just over 60kg. Not planning to carry too much, usually just a backpack, but you never know what I might decide to carry in a few months time. Although I have been thinking about getting a rack and panniers.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I'd go with the 1.3"s
Both my road bikes run 23c tyres - less than an inch wide - despite Sheffield's roads largely being potholes stuck together by tarmac.

Call me stupid but I take it that's ~£15 per tyre? Also there are two different sizes 1.3 and 1.6 but for example, on this website there is no option to pick which one.
http://www.shinybikes.com/product.php?productid=18073

Top Bottom