Getting out into Kent from SE London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
Just thought I'd share with you a little information for anyone that isn't already aware.

I went out for a ride into Kent yesterday with my new sustrans map of the whole county, with a view to trying to stick to a couple of the routes shown and can report back with the following information...

NCN route 1, the waterfront part just beyond Gravesend, is a really nice traffic-free route next to a canal and a railway line. However it is totally unsuitable for road bikes! Make sure you're on something with bigger tyres, unless you want to pootle along it at 9mph, trying to avoid ruining your wheels like I was.

BUT, recommended is:

The cycle path that runs for at least 20 miles out of Dartford all the way along the side of the A2. I was apprehensive about going out of my way to get to it in case I had the same problem as above (As I was already going to be late home for visitors). however the entire thing (or the portion I used) is tarmac'd, and most of it a reasonable width as well. Parts of it appear to be the "old" A2, from before the motorway was built.
To find it, pick up NCN1 in Dartford town centre and follow it, coming off where NCN1 goes up towards Gravesend - you carry straight on at this point.
It's perfect for making a quick dash out of London to get further into Kent, or indeed getting back home in a hurry when you've spent too long out in the countryside.

Hope that's of some use!

Durian

Über Member
Any road that gets you out of Dartford is a good road!

andym

Über Member
As a SE Londoner I think your best bet is the train. No disrespect to the routes that there are, but Kent is far to nice to waste time faffing around in London: just get the train.

Top Bottom