Getting Sore Hip from cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roaders

Über Member
Hi All
Recently my left hip or pin bone has been getting sore when cycling. It started about a month ago just before I went on holiday. I thought that I was just saddle sore and that it would get better. I did no cycling for 2 weeks but on my first day back in the saddle it started to get sore again.
My left leg is the leg that I unclip every time I stop. I used to wait at lights still in the saddle on my left tip toe with my hips at an uncomfortable angle on my saddle. I have recently started doing this more as I now stop in the middle of the road rather than resting on the kerb (this is for safety to stop cars rushing by when I'm clipping in).
I thought that this might have been causing me problems so I now stand on my left leg while waiting and don't stay on the saddle. I tried unclipping my right leg but it's very hard when I use my left without even thinking!
Despite changing how I wait at lights I was still getting a sore hip. I then decided to change my saddle and for about 2 days I thought that had fixed it but then I started to get sore again. I am going to try changing the saddle again (I got a medium but probably should have got a large).
I am not sure if it's just a case of pressure in that area causing pain as I'm sitting on it or if it is actually a problem with my joint. It is not a pain related to movement, it still hurts if I just sit and freewheel.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I am getting worried that I'm getting arthritis (I'm only 34) or something else is wrong with me rather than the bike. What's really concerning me is that it's just on the left which is what's making me think it's my hip joint.
I've had my current bike nearly a year and it was set up for me by bikelab (they measure you and use an online service to calculate your optimal bike geometery). They didn't adjust my cleats though.
I am currently regularly cycling into work 3 days a week, it's a 36 mile round trip.
I did not stop during the winter so it's not as if I've just started riding again and am sore because I'm not used to it.
I am a big guy and have been cycling for nearly 3 years. In that time I have lost 4 stone and continue to loose weight. I'm still overweight though and weigh around 18 stone.
Recently a lot of people have been commenting that I look like I've lost weight - possibly this means my ass is less padded than it was and this might be why I'm starting to get sore (I'm clutching at straws a bit here).

Top Bottom