Getting the space message across to drivers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
... because 1ft isn't enough space to leave between your car & the parked car you've overtaking. This was demonstrated today by my sister who nearly took out a cyclist &/or a ped because someone opened a car door about 2" to untrap something, cue my sister jinking the car hard right. Thankfully the car stopped rather abruptly when its wheel off-side front hit the kerb on the other side of the road. Of course she says "it's not dangerous because normally everything is okay. It's only happened this once", she still can't work out why I've been saying it's dangerous. :cursing:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
... because 1ft isn't enough space to leave between your car & the parked car you've overtaking. This was demonstrated today by my sister who nearly took out a cyclist &/or a ped because someone opened a car door about 2" to untrap something, cue my sister jinking the car hard right. Thankfully the car stopped rather abruptly when its wheel off-side front hit the kerb on the other side of the road. Of course she says "it's not dangerous because normally everything is okay. It's only happened this once", she still can't work out why I've been saying it's dangerous. :cursing:

The IAM have made a step in the right directions.. the RAC and the AA give basic advice but are not as publicised or in as much positive instruction.

In a similar problem we cyclists are sometimes our own worst enemy. I do find myself riding in the door zone at times, sometimes this is due to poor road surface, but sometimes I just seem to drift there when scanning the road ahead. We are also our own worst enemies in the way many of us just put up with crap overtaking, some even simply become accustomed and its only when there is a problem (such as slipping on ice or oil) that they realise: "I've no escape route if this thing goes down!"

Somehow we need more positive instruction to drivers. Somehow we need to motivate the silent cyclists. Somehow we need to get Government and the Justice system to get off their backsides and make cycling safer and more comfortable.

The IAM have made a step in the right directions.. the RAC and the AA give basic advice but are not as publicised or in as much positive instruction.

In a similar problem we cyclists are sometimes our own worst enemy. I do find myself riding in the door zone at times, sometimes this is due to poor road surface, but sometimes I just seem to drift there when scanning the road ahead. We are also our own worst enemies in the way many of us just put up with crap overtaking, some even simply become accustomed and its only when there is a problem (such as slipping on ice or oil) that they realise: "I've no escape route if this thing goes down!"

Somehow we need more positive instruction to drivers. Somehow we need to motivate the silent cyclists. Somehow we need to get Government and the Justice system to get off their backsides and make cycling safer and more comfortable.

AWWW i no ,today i had a fool scrape my thigh with his van bumper,and having nower to go my wheels scraped against the curb ,Why ho why dont drivers consider how much space a bycycle needs grrrrrrrrrrrrr humph

buggi

Bird Saviour
i had a bus overtake me at a centre bollard!!!! unfortunately for him i caught him up at the next island. i nearly battered his door in, in my anger :angry:

Top Bottom