Giant Contend 1 mudguard clearance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velochris

Über Member
Is anybody running a newish (2021 or current) Contend 1 rim brake version with mudguards?

Giant's website gives a maximum tyre clearance of 30mm but I'm interested in knowing what the maximum clearance is with mudguards fitted.

Is anybody running a newish (2021 or current) Contend 1 rim brake version with mudguards?

Giant's website gives a maximum tyre clearance of 30mm but I'm interested in knowing what the maximum clearance is with mudguards fitted.

A few years back (2019 ??) the contend with guards had 25mm clearance with guards. I remember because it was that what stopped me buying one.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
Thanks. That would have been my guess looking at pictures (even for a latest year version) . Giant state it will take 30mm. I asked what if there was a mud guard and they said that providing the mud guard can take a 30mm, it will still be 30mm.

Didn't believe that for a minute hence asking for real world experience. Would hope to run tyres which actually measure 27-28mm so probably a no goer.

november4

Giant website, and reviews of the contend, state that its tubeless ready with AC-3 tyres, I have a contend 1 sl

They are not, I know as I got a reply from giant and bought PR-2 aftermarket

So I would say send them an email, they reply in a day, and are helpful

Thanks. That would have been my guess looking at pictures (even for a latest year version) . Giant state it will take 30mm. I asked what if there was a mud guard and they said that providing the mud guard can take a 30mm, it will still be 30mm.

Didn't believe that for a minute hence asking for real world experience. Would hope to run tyres which actually measure 27-28mm so probably a no goer.

I brought the Ribble CGR - which is and feels like a very heavy bike. With hindsight I wish I had took the hit on the tyre size and brought the contend.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
Giant website, and reviews of the contend, state that its tubeless ready with AC-3 tyres, I have a contend 1 sl

They are not, I know as I got a reply from giant and bought PR-2 aftermarket

So I would say send them an email, they reply in a day, and are helpful

I did. They didn't read my first email properly. Got my name wrong and didn't realise I wanted to know clearance with a mudguard fitted. They replied again and basically said clearance without mudguards is 30mm and clearance with a mudguard is also 30mm, if the mudguard can take 30mm width tyres.

Doesn't make sense to me that clearance is the same with or without a mudguard.

Chislenko

Veteran
I wanted to turn my old Spesh into a winter bike so ordered some 28 tyres and mudguards suitable for up to 28 tyres.

It is now my experience that mudguards "up to 28mm" will not successfully take 28 on a bike with limited room, especially if said bike has rim brakes. (May be ok with V brakes but not caliper)

I have filed away at the rear center retaining bracket to try and raise the mudguard but still the 28's catch. Today it was my plan to swap back to 25's to see if it will take them.

Not an ideal as the whole purpose of fitting 28's was to make it more winter ready!

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
I wanted to turn my old Spesh into a winter bike so ordered some 28 tyres and mudguards suitable for up to 28 tyres.

It is now my experience that mudguards "up to 28mm" will not successfully take 28 on a bike with limited room, especially if said bike has rim brakes. (May be ok with V brakes but not caliper)

I have filed away at the rear center retaining bracket to try and raise the mudguard but still the 28's catch. Today it was my plan to swap back to 25's to see if it will take them.

Not an ideal as the whole purpose of fitting 28's was to make it more winter ready!

My tyres are 25mm, but when fitted to the rims I will use they will measure 27-28mm. I'm pretty certain that statying with a 28mm tyre would be a no go as that would end up measuring 30mm etc.

Chislenko

Veteran
My tyres are 25mm, but when fitted to the rims I will use they will measure 27-28mm. I'm pretty certain that statying with a 28mm tyre would be a no go as that would end up measuring 30mm etc.

You are absolutely spot on @Velochris , I have today ditched the idea of going with the 28's and refitted the 25's and after a lot of bodging (bike is not really mudguard prepared) the guards are fitted with no catching rubbing so happy in the end.

Had to file away the middle plastic bracket to raise it up, heat up and "dimple" the mudguard to clear the front mech, then cable tie the leading edge to the front mech cable guide!!

That's just the rear one!!! Will need to go and get some P clips to fit the front one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Even if a tyre would fit under a mudguard, I would want significant clearance. I got so much mud trapped under one close-fitting mudguard that it wore my tyre out in a single ride!***

*** I'm hard of hearing so I didn't hear it rubbing, and I thought the bike feeling really sluggish was due to the headwind that I was riding into! :laugh:

Top Bottom