Giant Defy 0 vs Giant Defy Advanced 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

if you got it spend the extra £650 and worry about things when it happens or if it happens or try and test ride them both to see if there is a problem . if you get the defy advanced 1 please put an , how good or bad you think it is as i am thinking of getting one

"Please spend an extra £650 of your own money so you can let me know if it's worth me doing the same without me having to shoulder any risk."

surfdude

Veteran
I'm waiting for them to go down in price first then I will let you know what it's like or you could wait and see what the op does and ask him . Not sure what my post has to do with you as your post has no advice in it at all for the op.

topstriker

I have the same issue..... defy 0 against the defy advance 1.....£600 difference, i am a road bike newbie but i am an experienced competitive distance runner, looking to cross train, maybe one day try a triathlon, and also some general riding for fun, can anyone update with their choices and how they have got on with the choice they made?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Giant are one of the leaders in investing in technology for carbon bikes . They are also one of the leaders in selling bikes and the market has asked for disk brakes so they put them on the top range bikes last year . This year they have added them across the range as it worked for them in sales .
If buying new I cant see any reason why you cant select the gearing you want as they have to build the bike anyway .
For triathlon wont you want a TT bike ?

topstriker

triathlon would be down the line, just to have a go at something a bit different, being a bike novice but competitive in sport it is difficult to decide what level to come in at, i don't want to go too cheap and wish i hadn't and sell on in 6 months, or overkill and spend loads on spec that i wouldn't really need or notice the difference... defy 0 seems a "safe" bet but maybe the advance would be pretty future proof for me, i have ridden the advance but unfortunately no stock in my size of the defy 0

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The TCR would be a better bike to race on . Ive done long rides on mine and it really is a nice bike . I also have a defy 5 and the geometry between the two bikes isn't really a lot comfort wise IMHO

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Giant are one of the leaders in investing in technology for carbon bikes . They are also one of the leaders in selling bikes and the market has asked for disk brakes so they put them on the top range bikes last year . This year they have added them across the range as it worked for them in sales .
If buying new I cant see any reason why you cant select the gearing you want as they have to build the bike anyway .
For triathlon wont you want a TT bike ?

Not so sure about that. I'd say the manufacturers have created the demand which they will now service.

Go back a couple of years on CC and BR etc and no bugger wanted disc brakes on road bikes and there were loads of posts denigrating them when they started to appear.

Go back even further and I doubt there'll be much in the way of posting alluding to disc brakes as being the holy grail for roadies that manufacturers were failing to supply.

Marketing...clever stuff.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Been looking at both these bikes.
giant defy 0:
£999
aluminium
normal brakes
cassette is 11-32

giant advanced 1
£1649
carbon
disc brakes
ultegra
cassette is 11-28

Couple of questions:
Any opinions on either?
Is the extra £649 worth it for the upgrades (in your opinion of course).

One of my main concerns is going from a giant rapid 3 with a triple and still use the granny gear on hills. I have no shame.

So my easiest gear would be a 30 on the crank and a 28 on the cassette.
The defy 0 would be 34 on the crank and 32 on the cassette.
The defy advanced 1 would be 34 on the crank and 28 on the cassette.

I'm vearing towards thte defy 0 at the moment (probably cos of the slightly larger range in the cassette) but would there be a lot of difference in the easiest gears between My current rapid and this (for the purposes of hills).

Cheers.

Defy 0 for me.

Saves a lot of money, has a cassette that sounds like it could be right for your riding terrain (not that they are expensive to change and would be FOC at time of purchase) and you wouldn't have to look at that thick head-tube on the Advanced every day.

I very much doubt the Advanced will be quicker than the regular Defy and FWIW I've ridden a couple of carbon bikes and the much vaunted comfort factor I found totally lacking - but then I'm insensitive (so my wife says).

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The rear mech needs to be changed to a long cage one, on the Defy Advanced 1, if an 11-32 cassette is required.;)

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I'm sure the whole carbon vs aluminium debate has been done many times over but as as an owner of both a carbon and aluminium Giant Defy, I can tell you there isn't a massive difference. I was hoping there would be more tbh! Yes, the carbon is a bit lighter gets up to speed a tad quicker, but the aluminium feels more planted and rides very nicely too. All this stuff about compliance and stiffness etc goes over my head. I can't feel any noticeable difference in that department and I give them both some stick.
I've never had a road bike with disc brakes so I can't comment on that. You won't go wrong with either though, the Defy are great bikes IMHO :okay:

Top Bottom