Giant Hookless Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
Hi, I’m looking at a giant tcr advanced and advanced pro, I’ve heard a few stories about hookless tyres blowing off the rim and your limited to tyre choice, are they ok or as some reviews say not worth it, I can get the advanced with PR 2 not hookless and upgrade the wheels, it would be the same price as the pro then , the Pro comes with SLR 2 hookless, any thoughts , thanks.

any thoughts
On Hookless rims? Even the pros don't want to ride the things:
https://road.cc/content/news/zipp-adds-hookless-rim-talk-amid-second-incident-307105
Speaking to Velo(link is external), the Australian, who was teammates with De Gendt at Lotto between 2015 and 2020, said the riders’ union was “100 per cent against hookless rims”, claiming that they could potentially cause a “mass crash” in the bunch.

13 rider

Guru
If your a lighter rider they should be fine as recommended pressure is Max 73psi the problems comes for heavier riders who weight pushes them to near or above that limit .

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Thanks for replies , think I will swerve the hookless , think I will opt for the advanced tcr and upgrade the wheels to my choice and more choice of tyres

13 rider

Guru
Thanks for replies , think I will swerve the hookless , think I will opt for the advanced tcr and upgrade the wheels to my choice and more choice of tyres
I would do a bit more research before completing dismissing hookless , Giant literally sell hundreds of thousands of hookless wheel can they be as bad as there'd made out to be ? .
Does the Advanced pro come with the integrated seat post ? . Torque peak of you tube has had issues with that system . That would be more of a reason for me to go for the advanced (which I presume doesn't have the integrated seat post )

Last edited:
Top Bottom