Giant Hybrids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

larrye

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any wisdom/responses to my questions.

I currently have a very old Kabuki Bridgestone racing style road bike. I just had it tuned up but haven't really ridden for many years. Now retired, I am looking to pick up the sport again. The Kabuki feels too big for me right now. I've had the seat lowered as far as it goes.

I went to a local bike shop that has a good reputation. The owner seems to be a good person who is knowledgeable and sincere.

His brand is Giant. He recommends that I consider a Hybrid in a "small" size where he could adjust the seat to give me a sweet spot where my feet won't be too low but perhaps I'll feel a little more comfortable. He also said that I'd likely find the gear architecture such that it would be easier to go uphill.
He has or can get the Giant Cypress, Cypress 3, Escape 3, Escape 3 Comfort. I have been comparing them. He told me that the Comfort style bikes would enable me to remain upright while riding which some people prefer because it's easier on their backs. However, I have read that those bikes tend to be more sluggish (not that I'm looking to be a speed demon at 65 y/o). I just want something to ride on roads, bike paths, and possible venture onto some less challenging dirt paths. I also don't see a good reason to spend the extra money for the disc brakes.

Can you all help me understand the difference between these models? Or suggest another bike that I should be looking at?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Larrye and welcome to the site.
It’s true all except the City are ‘sit up and beg’ style of bike, as we say in the U.K. Built for comfort rather than speed. Not good if riding into a headwind. Tyres are quite large so that’s another thing that will slow you down. You’ll notice that the City has low flat bars to give a sleeker more aggressive position. Tyres are a little narrower too but still comfortable if pressure is adjusted. Could be swapped out for something narrower if you find them too sluggish. Should cope with rough tracks as well. There’s a good spread of gears to get you up most hills.
I wouldn’t say that style would be uncomfortable.
If coming from a road bike I’d say the City would suit the best.
Don’t be tempted to put the seat too low. Your leg should more or less straight when seated and the pedal at six o clock.
Disc brakes are worthwhile upgrade over Vs, but Vs are adequate.
Good luck.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Don’t know if this helps. I have Giant Escape size medium. (I am 5’10”, 31” inside leg). It is second one I have owned. First had v brakes, I gave it to my son-in-law, and bought a disk version. So, I have been riding Escape for past 12 years (now 75yo). No complaints.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

larrye

Hello Larrye and welcome to the site.
It’s true all except the City are ‘sit up and beg’ style of bike, as we say in the U.K. Built for comfort rather than speed. Not good if riding into a headwind. Tyres are quite large so that’s another thing that will slow you down. You’ll notice that the City has low flat bars to give a sleeker more aggressive position. Tyres are a little narrower too but still comfortable if pressure is adjusted. Could be swapped out for something narrower if you find them too sluggish. Should cope with rough tracks as well. There’s a good spread of gears to get you up most hills.
I wouldn’t say that style would be uncomfortable.
If coming from a road bike I’d say the City would suit the best.
Don’t be tempted to put the seat too low. Your leg should more or less straight when seated and the pedal at six o clock.
Disc brakes are worthwhile upgrade over Vs, but Vs are adequate.
Good luck.
Thank you, and thanks for taking the time.

I'm not sure that I'm going to mind being "slowed down" in exchange for comfort. It really depends upon how much. If it's say ... 10%, 20%, maybe 30% ... then I might be fine with it.
As for the seat height. I am trying to reach the point where I can stop and get my toes on the ground (to avoid falling) without feeling like the seat is crushing my family jewels to death, if you know what I mean. Right now with my current bike, it's pretty bad. I tried sitting on a "small" bike in the shop. There was a slight improvement - I was able to get my toes on the ground with less pressure (but still quite a bit) in the groin area.

OP
OP
L

larrye

Don’t know if this helps. I have Giant Escape size medium. (I am 5’10”, 31” inside leg). It is second one I have owned. First had v brakes, I gave it to my son-in-law, and bought a disk version. So, I have been riding Escape for past 12 years (now 75yo). No complaints.

Thank you for the information. I am 5'7.5", don't know my inseam but I wear length 28" jeans. The guy at the bike shop recommended a "small" size. Good for you riding at 75! Hope you're able to ride for many more years!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A small size should be fine for you with a 28” inseam. It shouldn’t be necessary to get your feet, maybe even toes, on the ground when seated. When coming to a halt you should prepare to move forward off the saddle and straddle the the cross bar to get your feet fully on the ground. If you ride with your leg too bent it will strain your knees and ultimately give you pain. A straighter leg will allow you put power down more efficiently.
Saddles on bikes at that price point aren’t going to be wonderful so if the standard one is giving you discomfort look at replacing it, try some if your friendly LBS owner will allow. Also if you haven’t ridden a bike in a while you’ll need to get used to the saddle. The same goes for other things on the bike to make you comfortable. Bars can be changed as can stems (high or low, short or longer) and tyres. The most important bit is the frame, that needs to be right.
Sorry, in my first post I said the City model, in fact I meant the Escape 3, as being your best bet. The Cypress being more a beach cruiser type. The Cypress 3 looks like a mountain bike with solid fork. Those models are made for shorter trips. The Escape 3 comfort may also work for you as it has an adjustable stem for height.
What sort of rides will you doing? Short hops or longer?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

larrye

A small size should be fine for you with a 28” inseam. It shouldn’t be necessary to get your feet, maybe even toes, on the ground when seated. When coming to a halt you should prepare to move forward off the saddle and straddle the the cross bar to get your feet fully on the ground. If you ride with your leg too bent it will strain your knees and ultimately give you pain. A straighter leg will allow you put power down more efficiently.
Saddles on bikes at that price point aren’t going to be wonderful so if the standard one is giving you discomfort look at replacing it, try some if your friendly LBS owner will allow. Also if you haven’t ridden a bike in a while you’ll need to get used to the saddle. The same goes for other things on the bike to make you comfortable. Bars can be changed as can stems (high or low, short or longer) and tyres. The most important bit is the frame, that needs to be right.
Sorry, in my first post I said the City model, in fact I meant the Escape 3, as being your best bet. The Cypress being more a beach cruiser type. The Cypress 3 looks like a mountain bike with solid fork. Those models are made for shorter trips. The Escape 3 comfort may also work for you as it has an adjustable stem for height.
What sort of rides will you doing? Short hops or longer?

Thank you again for taking the time.

That is a good idea, I'll ask the dealer if I can try different saddles. And thank you for the tip on how to get my feet on the ground once I stop. One good thing about these newer style Giants ... the cross bar angles down as it reaches the seat. The current road style bike has a totally horizontal cross bar. This will hopefully make it easier for me to "jump off" the saddle and for my feet to hit the ground.

You mention the Escape 3 model. There is also apparently an "Escape 3 Comfort" model. Do you see a big difference?

As for my riding, I would expect to start with some bike paths or just street riding that would probably be maybe 2-5 miles at a time and then possibly increasing to 10 or so miles at a time. I don't see being that much of an enthusiast where I'm going to end up doing 20-50 mile rides.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You mention the Escape 3 model. There is also apparently an "Escape 3 Comfort" model. Do you see a big difference?
The only difference I see is the 'Comfort' has a more forward and adjustable stem which be useful in finding a 'sweet spot' riding position.
Something else you could consider is a pair of padded cycling shorts to help with comfort.

Mike_P

Guru
On the saddle issue I use a Giant ebike hybrid for shopping and work and opted to swop it's saddle for a very padded one off my Ridgeback hybrid. They do not seem to sell the saddles separately but often crop up on eBay.

Top Bottom