Giant SLR disc wheels. Micro splits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all.
I have a giant SLR carbon wheel.
One of the spokes snapped so had it replaced by a wheel builder.
Whilst repairing the wheel we noticed some strange bulging by the nipple holes, very slight but nevertheless there. It was then that the mechanic said that there were tiny hairline micro splits eminating from the nipple.
The wheels are only 24 months, never get mistreated. The wheel builder said that this has to be a manufacturer issue.
I took the wheels to the giant stockist where I purchased the bike. Initially on the phone they said no but when they saw the wheel they concurred with the builder.
Anyway weeks later giant refused the claim. On the grounds that anything could have caused the splits. Like what I asked. They said over tightening. I said no one has touched the other spokes, so it can't be that. They said can't be proven. I said, so given that the only people to have touched the spokes were giant at original manufacture and there are these weird mismoulds, are we then saying that the lifespan of the expensive wheels is only 24months?
Then the giant warranty guy says that the split in the rim could be caused by anything.
I said hang on, there are at least 5 spoke nipples around the rim with the weird bulge and micro split.
He said he had only seen the one pic.
He has asked for the rest off the pics and he will get the warranty manager to take a look but he is not promising anything.
It seems that the wheel builder, the giant bike shop, myself and just about every cyclist I know thinks that there has to be a fault with the wheel.
It's really annoying for someone who takes a bit of pride in his bike to be treated with disdain by the manufacturer.
What do you guys and gals think?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi all.
I have a giant SLR carbon wheel.
One of the spokes snapped so had it replaced by a wheel builder.
Whilst repairing the wheel we noticed some strange bulging by the nipple holes, very slight but nevertheless there. It was then that the mechanic said that there were tiny hairline micro splits eminating from the nipple.
The wheels are only 24 months, never get mistreated. The wheel builder said that this has to be a manufacturer issue.
I took the wheels to the giant stockist where I purchased the bike. Initially on the phone they said no but when they saw the wheel they concurred with the builder.
Anyway weeks later giant refused the claim. On the grounds that anything could have caused the splits. Like what I asked. They said over tightening. I said no one has touched the other spokes, so it can't be that. They said can't be proven. I said, so given that the only people to have touched the spokes were giant at original manufacture and there are these weird mismoulds, are we then saying that the lifespan of the expensive wheels is only 24months?
Then the giant warranty guy says that the split in the rim could be caused by anything.
I said hang on, there are at least 5 spoke nipples around the rim with the weird bulge and micro split.
He said he had only seen the one pic.
He has asked for the rest off the pics and he will get the warranty manager to take a look but he is not promising anything.
It seems that the wheel builder, the giant bike shop, myself and just about every cyclist I know thinks that there has to be a fault with the wheel.
It's really annoying for someone who takes a bit of pride in his bike to be treated with disdain by the manufacturer.
What do you guys and gals think?
Carbon rims are crap.................................unless you are racing and the team pay for them. :whistle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Most problems with carbon wheels are from heat build up through braking so it could be due to use. I’d say the advantages for leisure cyclists are small and I’d never use them, leave ‘em to the racers.

Drago

Legendary Member
Is it inside of 24 months, or over?

If it's inside then your statutory rights are quite strong, and the onus is on them really to substantiate the claim that it was not a manufacturing defect. Beyond that point you do still have rights to expect a reasonable lifespan, but it's woolier and ultimately for you to then provide evidence (such as an engineers report from an appropriately qualified person) and for a Judge to decide upon if the parties can't agree.

What anyone "thinks" is irrelevant unless they have a paper qualification, experience in the field, and are willing to put their signature to a report. don't get into an argument along the lines of "well, what you're basically saying is..." because that's not what they said and it gets you nowhere, and such comments can come back and bite you if things get drawn out.

If you're inside 24 months then write to them citing the relevant consumer protection law and ask that they reasonably prove that faulty materials or workmanship were not to blame. If it's over 24 months you can ask nicely, make a nuisance, whatever, but if they don't play ball it's up to you to present the necessary technical evidence to a court to decide, which I would suggest you're not going to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
In that case I’ve no idea. Looks like it’s down to the discretion of the folks at Giant.
Unfortunately I think you're right. It is falling to look after your pride and and have this happen after such a short period.
Ultimately won't buy giant again and neither will any other rider I know.

Top Bottom