Giant Toughroad SLR 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ivan Elofanich

I've recently bought a new Giant Toughroad SLR 1 and have just completed my first long distance ride on it, the Lon Las Cymru from Holyhead to Cardiff.

Overall I'm very pleased with bike as it is lightweight, well geared and comfortable. The wheels are not as good as I had hoped for (Basic cone bearings) but that's my fault for not reading the spec sheet before I bought it.

What I would like to change are the tyres, as the 700 x 50C Giant Sycamore S that it came with are fine on gravel and stones, but just are too slow and energy sapping for tarmac.

I have a pair of Continental Speed Kings taken from my old bike that I planned to fit, but at 2.2" they are too wide for the Toughroad, which can only accept a maximum of 50mm (2") width due to the proximity of the front derailleur.

Has anyone got any recommendations for suitable 700 x 50C or smaller tyres that will fit the Toughroad and be low resistance on tarmac while still having a reasonable grip in gravel?

Attachments

• Toughroad on 8.jpg
    Toughroad on 8.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 72

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There are loads. I use Schwalbe Marathons on my gravel bike which give a good balance between speed price and puncture resistance but is really a road tyre. They come in various flavours and sizes but be aware the Plus are barstewards to mount. Something around 40c should suit. Not too good in soft dirt though.
Continental have Terra Speed if you fancy something more knobbly.
This site is good if you want precise data on rolling and puncture resistance:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

BTW :welcome: to the forum Ivan

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
I agree the supplied wheels and tyres are a bit sluggish. I had the original tyres off within weeks only suitable for glaur. The plus side is the wheels are strong. I’m currently using 38mm gravel kings.
I see, well adjusted, cup and cone an advantage though. Have you checked yours? I found mine a little tight.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I wasn't that impressed with the tyres that came with mine
I think I got something like three punctures in as many weeks.

Swapped them for these tubeless continentals , and haven't had a puncture since

Grippy enough for gravel, not too much road resistance .

Top Bottom