Gibraltar to Almeria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I

insurin

I am just going to crack on and do this.

As for us Brits cycling on the wrong side of the road, after doing the last 2 tours I have developed a problem while in Britain. Sometimes I forget which is the correct side that I should be driving on. This is due to cycling in Spain/France but it seems to have been hard wired into my brain. Has anyone else experienced this?

If anyone knows Gibraltar well enough, I am after knowing if there are any cycle shops local just in case. Last time my on friends bike, the part of the frame where the rear mech connects to the frame got bent. This meant when his wheel spun, the rear mech was catching the spokes constantly when he was in the granny gear. This was remedied by staying on the bigger chain rings. Apart from that, his gear shifter just fell off the handle bar and all the little pieces fell out. What a nightmare. We managed to get it back on but he was limited in what gears he could use.

I like cycling next to the sea. It means I can have a dip whenever I please

Hi Insurin, there is a cycle shop in Gibraltar, its a raleigh shop. Ive never been in there so dont know how good it is. There is also a cycle shop in La Linea on Calle San Pablo they do repairs and stuff. Once again never used it yet :smile: but i had it recommended.

Cycling next to the sea is good. its just a shame the road is crap lol.

OP
OP
I

insurin

Excellent news about there being 2 cycle shops at the starting point.

I have also just noticed that I will be over there during the last week of the tour de france. Particularly interested in stage 17 (col du tourmalet) and stage 19 (individual time trial). These 2 stage is where I reckon the tour will be won.
The only drawback is the commentary will most likely be in Spanish unless I can find eurosport in English somewhere

ASC1951

Guru
insurin said:
I like cycling next to the sea. It means I can have a dip whenever I please
I've cycled through Malaga and down the main road to Estepona i.e most of the way to Gibraltar. It's ok; in fact the cycle lane makes it much safer than most UK main roads, certainly safer than going through the coastal towns where you have to mix it with delivery lorries and witless tourists.

A couple of practical points:-
- take plenty of inners. It's such a busy road that there is more debris than usual.
- avoid the five miles each side of Malaga in the rush hour, when it is particularly manic.
- in mid-July it's going to be very hot indeed.

VadimC

Hi guys!

I'm from Russia, Moscow. In few days I'm will be the first time in Spain. Start point - Almeria. On May 8 me and my friend start to cycle somewhere :-) Almeria-Barcelona or Almeria-Gibraltar-Sevilia? On coast or inland? It would be great if you show route with all check points. I extremely need your expertise. Your recommendations?

About me: pro-active, crazy about MTB, football and golf. Multi-Sportsman.

stewie griffin, onlineamiga and others:
What about to meet on May 9-10 in Malaga, Gibraltar or somewhere?

P.S. My friend needs a bike. Does anybody knows good bike rental service close to the airport in Madrid?

My media:
http://www.facebook.com/vadim.chuvelev
http://twitter.com/Vadim_C

OP
OP
I

insurin

just and update people - T minus 7 weeks before take off

Can anyone clarify the different roads signs in spain

red background n340 - I can cycle on this, I have done it

blue background A7 - is this a motorway meaning no bikes
Green background E15 - not sure what this is.. anyone?
Yellow background E15 - again not sure
Orange background A7 - what is this one

I am particulary intersted in the final stretch from Almunecar to Almeria or at least Arda to Almeria in terms of what roads to take

Top Bottom