Gibraltar to Yorkshire Starts Tomorrow - Wish me luck!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys,

You might remember me talking before about cycling Gibraltar to Yorkshire solo. Well I cant believe its finally here, and starting tomorrow!
Just want to thank everyone on this forum, as it has been an absolutely fantastic wealth of information, hints and tips thats even got me this far. Its really helped me ensure I have the best kit for the job and to do it right.

I've been doing a couple of test runs. Just 2 day tours. But I've never actually done anything longer than that. So approx 25 days Im estimating it will take me to Yorkshire will really be something else!

Its quite amazing how this all took off. From just wanting to do it myself, to accomplish people for me. People said. I'll sponsor you! So I got thinking, well if i open up a just giving page and people want to sponsor me for it, then why not. It only benefits the charity. Then everything just spiraled. Especially down here on the Gibraltar side. The Gibrlatar Society for Cancer relief just got me involved with so much local publicity down here. I've been in papers, magazines, done radio interviews, been on the TV! So far have raised nearly £2000 for both charities combined. I havnt even set off yet! So its all good! I even got Betfred Poker to support the event who gave me a small sponsorship deal too! Small but every little helps!

So wish me luck. I set off tomorrow. You can follow @gibtoyorks on twitter. Join the facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!...-Yorkshire-for-Charity/115729231803396?ref=ts and keep a track of my GPS position via the site http://www.gibraltartoyorkshire.co.uk

I'm going on an Edinburgh Bicycle Revolution Country Explorer.

Thanks a lot again to this forum! Might be a couple of beers tonight for the dutch courage and to help me sleep. Coz im obviously rather excited and nervous all rolled into one!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Good luck. You'll have a wonderful time!
I'm very envious :biggrin:

Hi guys,

So far made it to Pamplona, and having a rest day here. Tomorrow i go over the pyranese and enter France and will have cycled all the way through Spain solo! Its been awesome!

I met up with a group of riders heading south from Winchester to Gibraltar. Which was fantastic! Nice to hear some English again! My limited spanish has got me through Spain, but no knowledge of french what so ever is going to be interesting for getting through france. But Im going to head up the west coast of france to Caen, and take the overnighter ferry into Portsmouth, then up to Yorkshire where I will finish!

Everything so far has just gone too well. I havnt done any wildcamping and only 2 nights on a campsite. Hotel bills have been mounting up somewhat. But in spain you have Hostals (Different to Hostels) as I learned. theyre like smaller family run hotels, and i've had rooms from as little as 25 euros a night. Some good, some bad! Each one have been happy to keep the bike safe for me as well.

Had a problem with a re-occuring front puncture, but that seems to have sorted itself. But other than that the bike has been running fantastic. I've had to deal with some strong head winds. Something I never seen mentioned before.. Lip Balm!! take it! omg my lips have got so dried up. Ive been Ok with saddle sores, but what I have had is the back of my cycling shorts rubbing against my back and my lower back is red raw. The sun has been burning me to a crisp also! Tho ive been going with suncream and aftersun! Its already cooler and the sun doesnt feel as strong in Pamplona, as i head north and the sun heads south.

The hymini wind chargers have been attracting some attention aswell and ive been telling people about them, who think theyre a fantastic idea.

The hardest thing is battling so much head wind the last couple of days. Made cycling tough and ive managed to hurt my left ankle. Hoping its OK for tomorrow.

But what a fantastic trip so far. Seen some amazing scenary, been into some very interesting towns. Its fantastic, on my rest day im itching to get back on the bike. Will hit france tomorrow. I think then it will really hit home how far I've gone on this bike. Its also inspired a lot of people back in Gibraltar and in Yorkshire who have been sending me wonderful messages. A few grand has been raised for cancer charities also. So its win win.

And for all those that didnt know, this is my first multi day cycle tour! Except for an overnight weekend one. Ive just about crossed through the entire of Spain. So I'm pretty happy with myself for that. Its an amazing achievement for me.

Pictures and blog are on http://www.gibraltartoyorkshire.co.uk
More pictures on the facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!...-Yorkshire-for-Charity/115729231803396?ref=ts

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Good Luck...

jags

Guru
ah brilliant stuff i sure hope the wind turns not easy pushing a loaded bike into head winds but fair play to you hope you have a blast with the rest of the tour.

Top Bottom