Ginger Baker has played his last drum beat, aged 80.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Best Mc

Absolutely amazing considering the abuse he gave his body.

https://www.nme.com/blogs/ginger-baker-obituary-1939-2019-2551866

Clearly very gifted but very complicated.
Did anyone like him, did he like anyone?

From that obituary:
"He loved bikes; his childhood dream was to be a professional cyclist. Baker claimed that long-distance cycling had conditioned him for his career behind the kit."
And from the Guardian:
The young Ginger was aimless and unmotivated until he discovered a passion for competitive cycling.
This ended abruptly after his bike was wrecked in a collision with a London taxi

That's something I didn't know about him.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
From that obituary:
"He loved bikes; his childhood dream was to be a professional cyclist. Baker claimed that long-distance cycling had conditioned him for his career behind the kit."
And from the Guardian:
The young Ginger was aimless and unmotivated until he discovered a passion for competitive cycling.
This ended abruptly after his bike was wrecked in a collision with a London taxi

That's something I didn't know about him.
It’s where the Cream album title ‘Disraeli Gears’ hails....

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sad to read the news - another hero departed this world. I don't know much of his personality but loved his music, especially with Cream.

I was 12 when the band formed. My cousin gave me Disraeli Gears, I still have and play it. I have all the other vinyl. To me it sounds like yesterday, still fresh, vibrant, exciting and quite brilliant. A huge part of my youth and probably for the best they only lasted 18 months.

Thanks for the memories Ginger Baker.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I don't have any Cream albums, although I liked a lot of their stuff. I do have a lot of Clapton records and one by Jack Bruce. Sad to hear of Ginger's passing though, even if he was considered to be 'difficult' to work with (aparently Clapton spent most of his time with Cream acting as peacemaker when the other two were arguing). Another 60s icon gone... :sad:
I do have a couple of Baker Gurvitz Army lps and he may also be on other albums in my collection. Back in the day musicians would often pop up on other people's records.
R.I.P. Ginger

D

Deleted member 23692

No mention of BBM?

Well, allow me... and all 3 now sadly passed away :sad:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0iiGNjktgA

KneesUp

Guru
I ask so excited when BBM released Around the next dream. I am too young to have discovered Cream when their stuff was new so I thought it’s be cool to hear something new. It’s the only album I bought and then took back. Such a disappointment. That said, I’ll give it another go on Spotify and see if time has changed anything.

Top Bottom