Giro D' Italia 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

james herrera

Hello, The "Giro" is one of my life-long dreams to go and see. Finally this year will be possible to be amongst the tifosi cheering these amazing athletes. Does anyone have any experience traveling through Italy especially attempting to reach far North locations as Stage 20 Passo dello Stelvio? We plan on traveling via train. Is Bormio the closest we can get to buy train? How do the fans get up the Mts? Mortorolo? & Stelvio? Suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've started up it on a bike from Prad (Prato) but not from the Bormio side. If you can get a train to Bormio then you'll be at the base of the climb anyway.Many will cycle up but if you don't have a bike then I suspect you'll need to get up early and use shanks's pony!

OP
OP
james herrera

james herrera

Thank you Rich for your prompt reply to my request. I appreciate it! This will be my first time in Ita. achieving one of my "Life-Long Dreams" to see the Giro (My Fav' tour) I have decided to travel to Tirano and go up 'il Mortirolo to catch them at a Mountain stage experience instead. Bormio / Stelvio is too far North for us to get back to Milan in time for the Final Stage.
My best to you & see you on the roads! ;-)

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Hello, The "Giro" is one of my life-long dreams to go and see. Finally this year will be possible to be amongst the tifosi cheering these amazing athletes. Does anyone have any experience traveling through Italy especially attempting to reach far North locations as Stage 20 Passo dello Stelvio? We plan on traveling via train. Is Bormio the closest we can get to buy train? How do the fans get up the Mts? Mortorolo? & Stelvio? Suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

Whever you go, get there early as the mountain stages get a bit mental (particularly the final climb of the day). Are you planning to stay overnight on the mountain, or attempt to travel up on the morning of the stage (if it's the latter, I wish you good luck).

Top Bottom