Gitane glitch !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Had an email from the seller today saying how sorry he was because while preparing the bike for delivery he had discovered that the handlebar stem was broken inside the head tube. He offered me a refund but l said it would be ok if he could find a stem that was compatible with the bars ....hope l did the right thing !

Sharky

Guru
Unlucky.

If broken and can be removed in one piece, he should be able to find a replacement, although it will be a bit of a hassle, but a simple task, to unwind the handlebar tape and one of the brake levers to slide the handlebar off/on.

But if Broken means seized inside the head tube, could be a real battle to get out.
Ask him if the seat post is OK and can be raised/lowered etc.

scarygerbil

its pink and valentines day go for it

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A decision must be made ...should it be the 1960's Simplex Mercier or the 1980's Shimano Mercier ?
The Shimano Mercier has a far superior 600 Arabesque groupset all matching components, it has better wheels and better tubing, it's a much better bike but more expensive. Personally i think it's a no brainier and would pay the extra.
It's worth checking with the seller that both seat post and quill stem move freely.

The Shimano Mercier has a far superior 600 Arabesque groupset all matching components, it has better wheels and better tubing, it's a much better bike but more expensive. Personally i think it's a no brainier and would pay the extra.
It's worth checking with the seller that both seat post and quill stem move freely.

Having just posted on the other thread and now seen this, if you are getting the Gitane with Simplex then get the mercier with Arabesque, everyone needs an Arabesque bike at some point..

..at least that would be my justification.

Top Bottom