Give cyclists room advert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scratch

Über Member
I spotted this advert on a stroll to the shops here in Brum. It was on an advert board by the side of the road.

I don't know how many of these are up round the city but its nice thought from the council anyway. I wonder if it'll make any difference?

Jim_Noir

Up here we have these ones
http://www.cyclingscotland.org/driversurgedtogivekidscyclespaceincyclefr.aspx

There should be adult ones too, but at least it's a start

thomas

the tank engine
Don't have anything around here but wouldn't mind some of the OPs one...looked quite nice.

I don't mind people coming past closely, but I've had some ridiculously close overtakes made worst by the driver shooting past.

Joe

Über Member
Not bad.

I saw multiple "Don't overtake cyclists at traffic islands" signs today on a road with numerous traffic island induced pinch points.
Thought about stopping for a photo as I've never seen them before, but there were people around:blush::biggrin:

AllThatJazz!

Manchester - University area has yellow signs asking drivers to give cyclists room. I think most do from personal experiences around there. Some don't. But to be fair - I'd say more give the room than don't in that area. I think .. the sign helps? Or am I an optimist or just lucky there?

tomfoolery

Scratch said:
I spotted this advert on a stroll to the shops here in Brum. It was on an advert board by the side of the road.

Is that the one almost opposite the old Earl Grey pub, or are there more than one?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The one that makes me laugh is the one on Manchester Road, says;

"Please Give Cyclists Room"

opposite a direction sign to Mill Lane Cemetery :welcome:

yenrod

Scratch said:

I don't know how many of these are up round the city but its nice thought from the council anyway. I wonder if it'll make any difference?

Theirs a motorcyclists variant knocking aorund and its more to the point - just wording.

Jim_Noir said:
Up here we have these ones
http://www.cyclingscotland.org/driversurgedtogivekidscyclespaceincyclefr.aspx

There should be adult ones too, but at least it's a start

I don't like this ad. If one of my boys was on a bike and a car passed him close enough for him to touch, as the poster seems to suggest is acceptable, I'd think of it as a close pass and be livid.

The first one I saw was in Paisley on my way home from the airport, and that was my first thought on seeing it.

Is that a valid view or just me being precious?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Mr Pig said:
That happens to me all the time. I try to move out so they don't have room to do it, it I think it's safe enough.

It is safest to move out into the primary position well ahead of pinch points to stop the idiots from trying to overtake. Doesn't always work, but at least you give your self some escape space, some drivers just shouldn't be on the roads.

Stig-OT-Dump said:
I don't like this ad. If one of my boys was on a bike and a car passed him close enough for him to touch, as the poster seems to suggest is acceptable, I'd think of it as a close pass and be livid.

The first one I saw was in Paisley on my way home from the airport, and that was my first thought on seeing it.

Is that a valid view or just me being precious?

019998-School-A2-Poster-AW-GK-v2-2_862_933.jpg

The idea to suggest that cyclist should have more room than their out stretched arms...

AllThatJazz! said:
Manchester - University area has yellow signs asking drivers to give cyclists room. I think most do from personal experiences around there. Some don't. But to be fair - I'd say more give the room than don't in that area. I think .. the sign helps? Or am I an optimist or just lucky there?

Yep, the big yellow signs are quite common where I am. Helps to enforce the message, particularly in student areas.

Of course for experienced cyclists, if you need the room - take it, don't wait to be given it.

So on this mornings commute the motorist passes me and the cyclist ahead of me at speed and close.So I have the hump and am not enjoying the commute.We get to the lights and the offending car is turning left and so is the car in front of it.So the POB cuts inbetween the left turning cars and the close passing car starts blowing his horn.POB starts the swearing from the front with the finger and I start doing it from behind this tosser.Classic.Cheered up my commute no end.

Top Bottom