Gloucester to the New Forest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have a few days free at the end of the month and would like to tackle my first long ride spread over a a few days.

Can anyone recommend a route from Gloucester too the New Forest missing out the worst roads etc.

Many thanks

andym

Über Member
As a starting point, try having a look at the National Cycle Network

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/assets/files/general/sustrans-map-2009.pdf

One possibility might be route 41 to Bristol (or can you ride the towpath to Sharpness? - I was down there on Friday and I was wondering about this) then route 4 to Bath, Trowbridge and Devizes, and then route 45 to Salisbury. From there you'll probably want to improvise.

Multimap.com is a useful resource because it has Ordnance Survey mapping. In general my experience is that if you keep off A-roads, and stick to unclassified roads where you can, then you it's hard to go too far wrong.

OP
OP
roundisland
andym said:
As a starting point, try having a look at the National Cycle Network

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/assets/files/general/sustrans-map-2009.pdf

One possibility might be route 41 to Bristol (or can you ride the towpath to Sharpness? - I was down there on Friday and I was wondering about this) then route 4 to Bath, Trowbridge and Devizes, and then route 45 to Salisbury. From there you'll probably want to improvise.

Multimap.com is a useful resource because it has Ordnance Survey mapping. In general my experience is that if you keep off A-roads, and stick to unclassified roads where you can, then you it's hard to go too far wrong.

Many thanks for the info Sustrans seems like a very useful resource. I will give mulit maps a go and plan to route. I've cylced along the Sharpness canal as far as saul then took the A38 too Berkely its a lovely ride.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Our route to Burley YH was ...

Gloucester - Upton St Leonards - Buckholt - B4070 S of Birdlip - Whiteway - Sapperton - Coates - Ewen - Somerford Keynes - Minety - Callow Hill - Tockenham Wick - Clyffe Pypard - Winterbourne Basset - Avebury - East Kennet - Alton Barnes - Woodborough - Upavon - East Chisenbury - Bulford - Amesbury - Wilsford - Straford sub castle - (cycle track) - Salisbury - A36 & fork R torward Alderbury - Downton - Woodgreen - South Gorley - Ringwood - Crow - Burley Street - Burley

There's a YHA bunkhouse affair at the pub in Clyffe Pypard
There's a campsite at the pub by the canal at Honeystreet, just S of Alton Barnes

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3085495

If you fancy a bit of off-road (for a road bike), from Alton Barnes you can head SW and cross the plain from Redhorn to the Bustard, then Shrewton, Winterbourne Stoke, Stapleford, Great Wishford - Wilton - Coombe Bissett, then cross Whitsbury Down from Pennings farm to Outwick, and then rejoin the above route at Woodgreen

OP
OP
roundisland
andrew_s said:
Our route to Burley YH was ...

Gloucester - Upton St Leonards - Buckholt - B4070 S of Birdlip - Whiteway - Sapperton - Coates - Ewen - Somerford Keynes - Minety - Callow Hill - Tockenham Wick - Clyffe Pypard - Winterbourne Basset - Avebury - East Kennet - Alton Barnes - Woodborough - Upavon - East Chisenbury - Bulford - Amesbury - Wilsford - Straford sub castle - (cycle track) - Salisbury - A36 & fork R torward Alderbury - Downton - Woodgreen - South Gorley - Ringwood - Crow - Burley Street - Burley

There's a YHA bunkhouse affair at the pub in Clyffe Pypard
There's a campsite at the pub by the canal at Honeystreet, just S of Alton Barnes

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3085495

If you fancy a bit of off-road (for a road bike), from Alton Barnes you can head SW and cross the plain from Redhorn to the Bustard, then Shrewton, Winterbourne Stoke, Stapleford, Great Wishford - Wilton - Coombe Bissett, then cross Whitsbury Down from Pennings farm to Outwick, and then rejoin the above route at Woodgreen

Thanks very much for the route sounds - like some lovely places to pass through. Any idea of what the mileage was you coverd taking that route?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
according to gmaps-pedometer it's 159km

Call it 100 miles, depending on exactly where you start.

The Salisbury Plain route will be similar. The Plain is OK on a road bike whatever the weather - watch out for potholes in the puddles, especially where there's still bits of tarmac left. Whitsbury Downs on road bike was OK when it had been dry for a while, but pretty muddy when it had been wet. You can do the Plain and miss out Whitsbury Down by heading into Salisbury from Wilton.

Top Bottom