Going anywhere nice for half term?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fancy a weekend away with 'er indores and the girls - one 10, one 13. Any suggestions, not too far from London, B&B give or take?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Half term, bloody half term, they have only just gone back after the summer holidays, who wouldn't be a teacher......on second thoughts NO ;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
snakehips said:
That's what I thought. Are terms getting shorter ?

Nope. Still the same number of teaching days as there were twenty years ago.

This might explain the apparent contraction of school terms:

When as a child I laughed and wept, time crept.
When as a youth I waxed more bold, time strolled.
When I became a full-grown man, time RAN.
When older still I daily grew, time FLEW.
Soon I shall find, in passing on, time gone.

Henry Twells 1823-1900

Wigsie

Nincompoop
gary r said:
new forest is only 2 hrs away from London,we go every Easter with the kids.Lots of B&B's to choose from

Eurodisney is only 2 and a bit hours from London!

Can get some short break deals pretty easily or a B&B in Paris for £30 euro's and they are only about 20 mins on the metro from mickey, donald and the rest of the gang!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
This is a good site to find rural accomodation countrywide- http://www.farmstay.co.uk/
I'm biased towards East Anglia though, so I'd recommend heading to north Norfolk. This place is pretty good - http://www.whitehallfarm-accommodation.com/
and a great pub (The Nelson) within walking distance.

If you can, go by bike- it's a couple of hours sublime ride from King's Lynn station (around 2 hrs train ride from Kings cross). Wells is nearby and Holkham (great beach). If the tides work out you can go seal watching at Blakeney.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We're doing a 3 day break in a hotel in Picardy booked on a cheap all-inclusive Guardian deal. My daughter came home today and said, " When are you and Mum going on that Saga holiday?"

yoyo

We are going to Hong Kong to visit our son. This half has flown. One of the few perks of being a teacher is 20 weeks' holidays a year! The rest is murder.

karen.488walker

yoyo said:
We are going to Hong Kong to visit our son. This half has flown. One of the few perks of being a teacher is 20 weeks' holidays a year! The rest is murder.

retired teacher speaking, but that is never the weeks holiday that you get is it? all the weekends and going in and planning the classroom etc. It was all very misleading when I went into the career.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks for suggestions. Blakeney's a bit far (tho' we do like that part o' the world) so the New Forest is currently the front-runnner. Looks nice, and just right for us. Thanks again for that.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'll be working. Mrs F and the kids will be away, and they're taking the dog. So I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!* (apart from work). Now, I love Mrs F and the kids and all that, but a chap needs a break, and I shall pretty much be able to please myself for a week, then on the Friday (when they return) I head down to The Smoke for a mate's stag do... :rolleyes:

*(This is the 2nd such occasion in 15yrs, so I'm allowed a little anticipatory glee.... the last time, the house sprang a major leak, and I spent half the week mopping up and dealing with plumbers and builders)

Top Bottom