Going for it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just got into cycling 3 months ago or so and am attempting my first charity race August 28th. It will be on a 40 mile mostly flat route. Now... I don't have a proper racing bicycle, I have a trek 7.5, categorized as a hybrid/commuter. Was it a mistake for me to even enter a race without a proper racing bike!? I am already registered, though, so no going back now. I am looking for any advice I can get for my first race! One question I have is, I wear a hydration pack and I have one water bottle cage, my hydration pack ends up weighing 7lbs or so, do you think this will affect me enough to leave it at home race day and just stick with my one water bottle? Thanks in advance for your time and advice. :biggrin:

perplexed

Guru
Hello there...

When you say race, do you mean a sportive type thing, as opposed to an actual competition? Assuming it's not competition, I'd say that a road bike would be better, but you'll be ok on your hybrid.

I've done a handfull of sportives on my road bike, but I've seen all sorts of wierd and wonderful machines turn up at the start, from single speeds, full suspension mountain bikes, a "chopper" style thing with a 6 inch wide back tyre, to several thousand pounds worth of shiny carbon! :biggrin:

I'd put another bottle cage on and leave the backpack at home. Are there feedstations at all? Either way, take some food items stuffed into your jersey pockets. I usually shove a banana in there, with a couple of energy bars and gells. Some people swear by fig biscuits or jelly beans/babies!

Don't forget a couple of spare inner tubes, a tyre lever and a pump...

But most of all enjoy it!

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
You'll be fine on the Trek and with the camelbak too, most charity rides are not really races as such, more along the lines of a lot of people on untold different shaped bikes, doing the distance in what-ever time they like.

Even if it is a race, you'll only be beating your own time you set, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, just have fun and enjoy yourself. Add a few snacks for along the way as Perplexed pointed out above.

Good luck and have fun :thumbsup:

Before deciding whether or not to leave the hydration pack behind I'd give some thought to what sort of temperatures you're likely to meet. I gather that at this time of year there's a lot of difference between cycling in, say Oregon :rain::rain: and cycling in Texas :sun::sun:

OP
OP
A

American Cyclist

Thanks for your replies the advice was wonderful.:biggrin: Yes it is more of a sportive type event than actual competition. The weather has started to cool off around here (northern Indiana), but it looks like it will be getting back to 90 degree Fahrenheit sunny really humid weather. There are three SAG stations along the 40 mile route so I guess I would be fine with or without the camelback. I purchased another water bottle cage but the only spot it will fit is my handbars and I don't want to put it there. I don't have enough room to put it anywhere else. So I am just going to take my camelback to minimize the amount of stops I need to make. I'm getting very excited! Going out for a 35 mile ride after this post. Thanks again for your advice.

Top Bottom