Gonna be interesting: a WotR trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been trying to get my brother and brother-in-law to join me on a cycle of the Way of the Roses this June. They don't cycle big distances so I have planned to do it over 4 days. So far so good.

My brother now can't get the time off but the b-i-l is really keen. So keen he has invited his two adult(ish) sons along. Nice lads but student types - student types who don't own cycles or understand the word 'pannier'! The b-i-l is going to lend the eldest son his road bike and the youngest one the mother's (my sister) £70.00 full suss' BSO for the journey (AAAHHHHH!!!). The b-i-l plans to complete the route on his Brommie', which I think is great and I will be using my ever reliable Santos Travelmaster.

The trip will be lots of fun. I have no worries about fitness but I'm really trying to get the BSO junked on HSE grounds. Looks like I will have to complete my hack bike project this month and lend that out instead of the BSO. Neither of them are getting their arses on my Marin MTB or Verenti CF road bike I can tell you!

rollinstok

Sounds like 4 days might be ambitious with non-cyclists, particularly if one has to take the full sus
Hope you can sort him out with the hack bike in time

Honestly, I think you'll be fine:thumbsup:

Its 170miles ish, so thats what 40ish a day? Even at a sedate 8-10 its still only 6hour ish in the saddle so plenty of daylight for the inevitable breaks and rest stops.

Someone just completed this route www.cyclechat.net/threads/wotr-bikes-on-northern-rail.100767, the Wetherspoons at Ripon and Driffield are recommended. As is the Wildings Tea Rooms in Pately Bridg.

For stops before that, I haven't cycled that part myself.

I think the hardest will be getting the non cyclists past the half way point, after that it is basically flat to the coast. Something to look forward to tell them!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'll be doing it at the end of this month. My schedule's:

Fri 25th - Morecambe to Settle/Horton-in-Ribblesdale - 35 miles
Sat 26th - I'm walking the 3 Peaks of Yorkshire
Sun 27th - Settle - Ripon/Boroughbridge
Mon 28th - Ripon/Boroughbridge - Bridlington & home

The only bit I know currently is Settle-near Gargrave. The climb up out of Settle is tough, but it's a nice steady fast down after that.

Top Bottom